Help me get started!

Options
Hi all

My name is Jo - 2 years ago I managed to lose 40lb through calorie counting and exercise but I've since put it ALL back on and can't seem to find the motivation to get started again. I wondered if anyone who has lost a significant amount of weight (without surgery) could tell me how they did it. I'm trying to walk daily (3 miles+) but often don't manage it everyday due to time constaints. Is walking an effective way to lose weight? If so, I just need to sort my very poor diet out!

Replies

• silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    diet is much more important than exercise. walking is ok, but best to do brisk walking to get the heart rate up. if you're low on time, you're probably better off doing an exercise dvd at home that combines cardio with a bit of weights - i recommend doing the jillian michaels 30 day shred 3-4 times a week. also, if you prefer being outside i'd say start something like the NHS choices couch to 5k running programme podcast - it's half an hour three times a week so easy on time, and if you want you can carry on walking after it.

i lost 50lb in 2011, and then put 35lb back on in 2012. generally i find though that if i'm not in the right frame of mind, i just won't stick to a diet or do the exercise. it's hard but i try and log everything, good days and bad, and that motivates me.