Toning up to loose weight ..?

Options
2»

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    See the difference between me and you is that I don't claim to have superior genetics. I know I'm average. When you claim to have superior genetics we expect to see someone who is ripped and your profile photo is not an example of that.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OP, I really hate that others highjaked your thread. I hope you did or can find a solution from others posts as to how and what you need to proceed to reach your goals such as what @arditarose advised. :):) +1 on what she posted!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm also lifting weight with minimal cardiovascular, my question is I'm 9st and eating approx 1200 calories a day and haven't lost any weight in weeks, what should my calories be, I'm 5ft 3.?

I suggest you make your own thread. Also...MFP tells you how many calories to eat. It's the whole point of the app. You could start there.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    Here is a tip you probley know already.. Eat less calories. If you eat less calories than this amount ( your calorie body maintaince level) , something awesome happens. Your body realizes that it doesn’t have enough calories to burn for energy, so it burns your own stored body fat for energy instead. This is how weight loss happens. Also this is a key foundation to toning up. You have muscle just need to burn that fat off that is hidden it... All the weight lifting, gym work out will not get you there. Better to do more cardiovascular such as running or other activities that will burn calories..Also eat proteins will help also. Start by lowering your calorie count by 20% of your body weight which should typically be 1-2 pounds a week. And keep up the cardio work. Before you know it you will loose weight and look toned and fit... Any other questions let me know..

Can you please explain the bolded? How would the OP "not get there" lifting weights in a deficit? That's basically exactly how you get there....

OP, here's the deal. Make sure your logging is on point so you have a modist deficit. At that point do cardio for heart health (and if you like it), and then as was said above find a reputable progressive overload lifting program.

When we eat in a deficit we lose water, fat, AND muscle. You may be muscular under the fat, but if you eat at too steep of deficit and don't add in some progressive overload you'll lose weight but some of that will be from LBM (muscle). So, even though you've lost weight your BF% may not change much.

Where as if you add in a progressive lifting program with your deficit (and cardio) you're working to maintain muscle so most of your weight loss comes from water and fat. It's possible that you may not lose weight as fast, but it's quite possible that you'll lose BF% faster, so what you're doing is efficiently burning the fat covering the muscles you have so you reveal them and improve your "tone".

This!
    Op you don't have to do tons of cardio if don't like it. I don't do any at the gym anymore . I used to but realized that I could still get the physique that I desired without cardio.
    Find yourself a lifting program! If you'd like, I could send you some suggestions. I started with nrolfw but there's many to pick from!

• singingflutelady
    edited June 2016
    Options
  • singingflutelady
    edited June 2016
    Options
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I am a woman who eats like a grown *kitten* man and I am losing centimeters. I mainly lift and hike. We're talking about a minimum of 2500 to 3000 calories a day. I'm 63kg and 1.63m. I could probably cut on 2000 calories a day. #justputtingitoutthere #fuelthatbody
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I'm also lifting weight with minimal cardiovascular, my question is I'm 9st and eating approx 1200 calories a day and haven't lost any weight in weeks, what should my calories be, I'm 5ft 3.?

I would follow the advice of arditarose and create your own thread. Give your stats and all other info and I'm sure plenty of people would be happy to help you out. After creating a thread, open your diary to public so we can try to pinpoint your issue.