We've been counting calories all wrong?

Options
Worth the read. I would love to hear some of your thoughts on this article. I so far have been living and breathing calories in-calories out and have lost 25lbs in 2.5 months with the goal to loose 50 total. No doubt it's going to start to get harder as I get closer to my goal.

"Changing how we measure our food can transform our relationship with it for the better"

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/weve-been-counting-calories-all-wrong?utm_source=mbfbcaads&utm_campaign=global

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I got down to where it started talking about satiety. Other than the likely mis-cite of the definition of a calorie, it's a well-written piece of journalism attempting to elucidate recently gained understandings of the influence of chewing and cooking at altering the digestive availability of energy in the foods we eat. It does not suggest that a calorie is not a calorie. Rather, it explains that the 5 different methods allowed to Big Industrial Food for measuring their calories are capable of producing statistically significantly different values for the same food. It also explains that local chefs impart so much variability on restaurant servings as to render web-site nutrition values meaningless. This is good and useful information to know.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    This "disturbingly large margin of error" is still close enough for me. Maybe it's because I eat almonds almost daily :). As to satiety, I automatically look to keep adequate protein and lots of fibre/veggies in my diet. Perhaps if someone spends no time on these forums they might benefit from a satiety based diet.
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories derived from food is just an estimate. If you use a fitness tracker to see how many calories you burn that is also an estimate. That is why we need to watch and make adjustments. The article just gives a lot of background on how the estimates have been determined. Interesting reading but nothing game changing.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I thought the article was pretty silly. Yes, it's not possible to know exactly how many calories we take in or burn outside the lab and there are a variety of factors that make a difference (like restaurant counts being off). But none of that matters to the ability to lose weight -- you don't need an exact number to be able to adjust and eat less or burn more. As for satiety, that's just common sense. People who claim it's not workable as is and "we need something better" like the people interviewed supposedly did sound kind of pathetic and whiny, like they are blaming scientists for the fact that they find losing weight hard.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    FFS another article touting not all calories are created equal...yes they are.

SMH...

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    No, it was just saying that when something is difficult to digest, like beans or rare meat not all the calories are absorbed.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I read until is described a calorie as the energy to raise 1 kilogram of water 1 degree Celsius. I was taught in high school that it was 1 gram of water 1 degree Celsius.

The calories given on food labels are "kcal" which are defined as 1 kilogram per degree Celsius.
    The ones you studied in school are not used.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    It does not matter. All that matters is that you estimate the food energy put into your body, it doesn't matter what they are called; portions, meal plans, carbons, calories, points, calories, kcals, who cares what they are called. When you look at the amount of food, pay attention to how you feel, and watch your body change, it works. I don't care what they call it, I lost 85 pounds doing it, kept it off for 5 years, and no one can tell me it's wrong because it worked.