How long after root canal can I workout?

alexparsh
alexparsh Posts: 3 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I have abscessed teeth on my lower left side and I recently consulted my dentist. He told I need to undergo root canal treatment asap or else the situation become worse. I'm really worried to undergo the procedure as I heard many negative reviews. Does anyone here had done this procedure? If so, can you share your successful story? I don't want to hear any scary stories, please!!
I'm a fitness freak and because of my toothache, I couldn't attend the gym for nearly 2 weeks which is driving me crazy. How long after the procedure can I continue my workout? I will put on weight very fast so I'm very much cautious about this.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    You will only put on weight very fast if you eat over maintenance... so don't.
  • alexparsh
    alexparsh Posts: 3 Member
    Even if I drink water, I will put on weight. My work nature also have a role in it. I need to sit continuously for 8 hours a day.
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    alexparsh wrote: »
    Even if I drink water, I will put on weight. My work nature also have a role in it. I need to sit continuously for 8 hours a day.

No you won't, it's not possible. Accurately eat at the numbers MFP has given you and maintain whilst you recover. Surely getting the root canal done and spending a little while recovering and being able to get back to exercise after makes more sense than NOT having it done and being in agony for the rest of your life...? Ask your dentist how quick you can get back to it. People recover differently, you can probably do some walking about as soon as the anaesthetic wears off, or you may be in bed for a week... But NOT getting the surgery done really isn't an option is it?
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    I’ve been there, more than 1 time actually. Personally it never affected my workouts, I think I’d workout the next day (but your dentist will advise you better). Don’t worry, the good news is that after having it done you won’t have pain, and won’t stop for 1 week because of the pain.
    And it’s a good thing that you’re being treated now, otherwise they would’ve extracted the teeth and then you would’ve had to stop for 1+ week (this happened to me actually).

Also, if you think you’re gaining weight because of water, then my advice is drink more water, it will only help flush every toxin out :)

• Maaike84
    Maaike84 Posts: 211 Member
    I had a root canal done 3 times nos. It depends on how badly it is infected, it's not pleasant, but you are also not going to be out for 2 weeks unless there really is something super wrong with your teeth. I was back to work the next day. Maybe consider taking an ice pack to the dentist so you can put it on your cheek immediately after the procedure to help with any swelling.

But on the whole, really, what is your alternative? Not having it and getting something worse? A few days of no gym seems like the better alternative to me. And like people said; you only gain weight if you eat over maintenance; fluctuations you might see on the scale from not working out a couple of days are just that; they aren't actual weight gain, just your body holding on to more or less fluids.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2016
    Q/ How long after root canal can I workout?
    A/ As soon as the anaesthetic has worn off.

I've had it done - no big deal. Went back to work afterwards. Not much discomfort at all.
    Next day back to normal apart from chewing on one side.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,770 Member
    I have had several root canals and was always fine to workout by the next day...I found the procedure itself more uncomfortable than painful (just keeping my mouth wide open for so long)...but considering that I was in pain prior to the root canals, having the work done was a great relief, and I felt much better after.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    sijomial wrote: »

I've had it done - no big deal. Went back to work afterwards. Not much discomfort at all.

This. Once it's over you're fine and can go back to regular activities.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I've had a root canal. It sucked but didn't have any lasting affects after it was over. If yours is routine I'd assume you can workout as soon as you want after, but to be sure you should simply ask your dentist.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

This.

And it seems like you have some anxiety issues regarding food and exercise. You might want to talk with a professional about that.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    You will feel much better after your root canal than you do now. Abscessed teeth are nothing to ignore, your mouth health affects your overall well being. As for gaining weight drinking water, not going to happen. Eating too much will make you gain weight. Your dentist can answer questions about after care, but from my personal experience other than a little soreness around the novocaine injection site, I was back to my regular activity immediately.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    I've worked out the day after root canals with no issue, but mine weren't due to abscesses. I would check with your dentist but assuming you aren't on hardcore pain pills you should be ok to work out the next day with no problem.
  • Amym26
    Amym26 Posts: 83 Member
    I have had 5 root canals, and felt fine the same day. Even when I had infections.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    A root canal isn't fun, but it's not anywhere near as terrible as people make it out to be, and once you leave the dentist you'll feel pretty good. For sure, whatever you need the root canal for is much worse than the procedure itself.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Root canal wasn't that bad for me.
    I lost weight because I was only eating soft foods until I could chew again.(shakes, yogurt and soups)
    Mine healed pretty quickly.
    I would think if you exercise and feel fine then go for it.
    Maybe a lot of jumping up and down would irritate it but I would take it slow and see how you feel.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    I don't remember having to reduce activity significantly after my root canals.

I found the procedure pretty unpleasant but so much less pain afterwards, it was worthwhile.

You really need to ask your dentist though, maybe call the office now and they should be able to tell you if they recommend a break from particular activities.

And if you do have to take a break from exercising... well, that isn't the end of the world. Maybe stick to maintenance calories for a week or so to give your body lots of good nutrition to help it heal. Sure, you won't lose weight that way, but it's only temporary.
  • malioumba
    malioumba Posts: 132 Member
    auddii wrote: »

This.

And it seems like you have some anxiety issues regarding food and exercise. You might want to talk with a professional about that.

People seem to think therapy is free.