Discover what's new & improved in the MyFitnessPal app!
We’re dedicated to helping you achieve your health and nutrition goals. And our newest features and updates? They do just that. Learn how we're making tracking your progress easier, faster, and more motivating than ever.

Anyone with type 1 diabetes and under active thyroid managed to lose the weight?

Options
elly_welly
elly_welly Posts: 3 Member
Good morning. I am 28, have an under active thyroid and type 1 diabetes and am really struggling to lose the last stone. It doesn't matter if i work out or not or if i watch what i eat i seem stuck at the same weight which is killing my motivation. Anyone on here managed to lose the weight despite of the medical conditions and if so amy tips? Thanks in advance

Replies

• almaclea
    almaclea Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey there!
    I can't speak to having diabetes, but I have had Hypothyroidism for many years and have struggled with my weight for quite some time. The only advice I can give (as I have recently lost about 15lbs) is to consider your thyroid as the reason for fatigue (if this is something you're experiencing). I had a bad habbit of assuming that I was tired because of calorie cutting/exercising and that my body would just get used to it. At the same time, I was really having a hard time losing anything, which as you may know can be demoralizing and frustrating. When I had my TSH levels checked they were way off and I really needed my meds adjusted. I am on the correct dose now, and though it is still a challenge at least my weight is moving in the right direction. Basically, I make it a point of having my levels checked very regularly, otherwise you could be fighting a losing battle.
  • gerlcat
    gerlcat Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    TYPE 2 is hereditary, TYPE 1 is when your own immune system destroys your Pancreas for some unknown reason and stops making insulin altogether.
    Yes, I am a Type 1 Diabetic and I have Hypothyroidism (Hachimoto's - also autoimmune) and yes, having one makes it hard to lose, having both is super hard. My dr checks my Tyroid level every 3 months to manage my meds and I've been steady for a long time, so doing that helps a lot. As far as the Type 1, that is a whole other vicious cycle that never ends. Take it one step at a time, one day at a time. Take the time to manage your health - take care of YOU! I haven't been on here for a while, and now I'm back. I always love to read the success stories and see everyone's before/after pictures. When I first discovered MFP I went on here and asked the same question because I lwanted and still want advice from others who are like us (btw: I also have MS - also autoimmune) Feel free to message me and add me as a friend.
  • nicnoahshaun
    nicnoahshaun Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have type 1 diabetes. I am always looking for type 1 friends. So we can learn from other one another. I have learn that the less insulin I take in the more I can manage my weight. I still have someday that I still struggle.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!