horrible 2 weeks - a bit of a rant.

Options
Hi,

This is just a rant on my body being a giiinoooor-moose pain in the butt.

Quickly:
I've lost nearly 14kg. It's been slow and steady. I weigh everyday and chart it with a 3 day moving average, and other math stuff. I know when my weight fluctuates during certain biological happenings.
I'm currently at a BMI of 25.somthing. I'm 169cm tall.
No, I'm not going to open up my diary.

Rant ON:

The past two weeks have been horrible. I was losing steadily, and then I had a huge drop. WOOHOO. Lost 1.1kgs over the week. I put all that weight back on the next day. Then lost 0.5kgs the next day. That held stable, and then lost almost 1kg. Put that on, and then some, overnight. Lost a bit, put on, lost a bit, put on, lost a bit, put on. My chart looks like the alps. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Fluctuations I can handle. It's a case of - oh, that's happening soon, or didn't get enough sleep, or didn't drink enough water that day and I'm suffering for it now. It's not salt, it's not DOMS. It is annoying.

But every single day during a time where nothing should be in the way. No, bad body.

I still have a good 7kgs to go before I'll feel safe. Right now, I'm at a weight where I used to diet down to, and then stop because it was just a bit too difficult to deal with when life is in the way. And weight loss is slow.

I usually hovered around 77kgs. Now i'm somewhere between 73.5 and 74.4 (depending on the day). I know that if I stop, I'll rebound up to 77kgs (as I always have). The thing is, I don't want to be there.

I count my calories, I use the measurements, I drink the water, I do the exercise.
I even see a doctor* about it, and she said - eh, you're getting close to healthy so, it's just getting harder. Don't stress.

*Not a GP. I "noticed" I had put on a lot of weight, saw my GP, and she said, meh, you're not that fat. I have no problem keeping my weight down. :trollface:
Went out, joined here, joined a gym, found another doctor who works with weight loss (who, I swear, all she does is ask if I eat enough, check's my blood pressure, weighs me, and has a chat about what I work on and about travel). It's just that I feel like I'm obligated to her to lose the weight - I'll let her down if I don't. She's my auditor.

But, when she weighed me yesterday, I was 1kg heavier than I was today. 1kg loss overnight - and still a bit more than 2 weeks ago.

I just want my nice, 95% linear loss to come back, with 2 fluctuations each month. Not this daily torment.

Rant OFF.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Hope the rant helped :smiley: . Weight loss is just not linear so regardless of doing everything right it can be slow to show up on the scales. Give it time, be patient, you WILL get there.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Are you sure it is not your scale playing up?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Have you readjusted your calorie goal since you lost? The less we weigh, the less our daily needs are. I seem to lose about 10 calories for every 2lbs or so I go down.

Hope the rant helped. I find sometimes that's all I need to do. Vent it all out and move on.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Yep I will say this is a rant! and pretty much all over the place.. I got lost in translation.

I hope you feel better after this ranting.. I hope you find solitude in this and moreover did you just some relief in the elimination of words, or did you find some sort of deep seated solution from within to move on and keep going??
  • dwaterfield
    dwaterfield Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I've lost 73 lbs since last fall and it's mostly been very steady - around 2 lbs/week. Some higher, some lower, sometimes there is a pause of a week or so. Lately, though, I've had weeks where I suddenly drop several pounds only to gain them right back. Progress slowed to a crawl for nearly a month. Even worse, I have a deadline in 3 weeks and I still need to lose about 3-4 pounds by then.

The good news is that the last few days I seem to be back on track...but I'm not nearly as confident as I was a month or so ago when my progress was more predictable.

All you can do is ride out the storm. It will get better.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    There's another fun MFP wrinkle it took me a while to discover: the more weight you lose, the lower the calories you can have, but your food diary won't reflect this until you go to the goals section.

So I periodically go to "goals" hit "guided setup" hit "lose .5 pounds per week" and watch my calorie budget drop. It's never by much. Usually my budget only drops by 10 calories, and because I check this every week or two it isn't a shock. But if you've never reset your goals, you could be off by quite a bit and it could be part of the reason for a flipflop.

That and as others say/said weight loss isn't linear. I love this chart in one of ihad's blogs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well it's how I lost my weight. Got my period, then on day 5 or so I started losing, and lost a lot the following week (with some up and down)... One day later the scale was back up a bit and didn't move (or went back up a bit) until the next period.

You got to look at the overall trend, and be confident that you're eating less than you burn (are you? do you weigh your food?) and that you WILL lose.
  • Vetticus_3
    Vetticus_3 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    The rant helped so much.
    I don't really talk about my weight in the real world, and didn't have someone to vent at.

I actually feel better.

I wish it was my scale. I had a really cheap scale that I bought when I moved house, and it said I weight *expletive*kg. Well, I thought there was no way in the world I was that fat. Bought a more expensive digital scale ... and it agreed with the cheap one. Both have been in agreement for the past 2 weeks. \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Kamikazeflutt... the last 2 weeks of weight loss has looked like the "what the heck" aspect of that graph.
  • amdcp61
    amdcp61 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself daily. Your weight can fluctuate plenty based on how much you ate and drank today and when the last time was that you used the bathroom. If you're getting closer to your goal, it's not unusual for your rate of weight loss to slow down, making the daily ups and downs more noticeable.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate. I lost 14 kg so far coming from 77 kg. At the beginning loss was nice and steady, I could clearly see correlation between how good I was during the week and my weight ins on sundays. But the lower my weight is, the fluctuations are bigger. At the beginning my weight was moving max 0,5 kg, even at TOM. now, when I'm at 63 kg it moves even 2-3 kg in two days!
    It used to drive me nuts, but I realised I'm at deficit and moving a lot, so it's physically impossible that those fluctuations are actual weight gain. It MUST be water. So I don't sweat it and just wait for it to come off. Oh, and I stopped weighting myself daily. If you're at deficit your weight will come off, doesn't matter what your scale is telling.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    You mentioned joining a gym and then your weight going up. New exercise is notorious for adding water weight. Your muscles suck up water for muscle repair.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hey, 17.5kg down here and the last two weeks have been similar to yours. Very annoying but hold the faith. Keep weighing daily and see the trend. I know that I can feel like it has all been up and then check Happy Scale to see my 7 and 30 day losses and see that it is pretty much ok. The last 2 weeks aside...
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    There's another fun MFP wrinkle it took me a while to discover: the more weight you lose, the lower the calories you can have, but your food diary won't reflect this until you go to the goals section.

So I periodically go to "goals" hit "guided setup" hit "lose .5 pounds per week" and watch my calorie budget drop. It's never by much. Usually my budget only drops by 10 calories, and because I check this every week or two it isn't a shock. But if you've never reset your goals, you could be off by quite a bit and it could be part of the reason for a flipflop.

That and as others say/said weight loss isn't linear. I love this chart in one of ihad's blogs.

I hadn't adjusted mine in about forty pounds and I lost 220 calories every day. I was still losing at the rate I'm set to so I'm glad it wasn't affecting me but I won't be waiting so long again. I'm planning on sticking with adjusting every 10 pounds now