Prozac and metabolism

Options
Hi! I have been back on Prozac for about 7 weeks. Prior to that I was on nothing for 5 weeks and Wellbutrin for 18 months. I had to stop the Wellbutrin because I developed severe anxiety and high OCD. So I realized that my weight loss stopped and cravings are non stop shortly after I started back on the Prozac. I think I am going to stop taking it and start again in August to see if I can continue to lose how I was previously. I just don't know! Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks MFPs!

Replies

• lmeldrum23
    lmeldrum23 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I think you should talk to your doctor about it. I'm on Prozac currently and I haven't been told of it stopping weight loss or cravings as a side effect. I think if it continues to hinder you, talk to the doctor about trying a different medication.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    No. Prozac does NOT affect metabolism. It can increase your appetite which may lead to over eating, which is what causes weight gain.

You should not just stop meds without talking to your doctor.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Definitely do not just stop taking Prozac. That doesn't end well. Talk to your doctor, and if you don't like the results you're getting with Prozac (wellbeing in general, not just weight), follow your doctor's advice about tapering and switching to something new. But don't just quit.

Cravings can probably be reduced with changes in your diet, but it will take a few weeks of playing around to find a macronutrient balance that works well for you. I'd lower your carbs and increase your protein to start.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    No. Prozac does NOT affect metabolism. It can increase your appetite which may lead to over eating, which is what causes weight gain.

You should not just stop meds without talking to your doctor.

This^^

I took prozac for years without any impact on my weight-gain or loss. Everyone responds to meds different, but definetely talk to your doctor about it. Sometimes stopping and starting meds can make them less effective when you try to restart.

• Lisamn1214
    Lisamn1214 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This has been my 2 month progress eating at about a 1400 cal average.

yc0d549ksksi.png

It is showing since my restart of Prozac. I just don't get what else I can change....
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    How do you measure your calories?