My Food Creation

Options
AMRROL
AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
When creating an entry into My Food, how do I show different serving sizes. For example, have a drop down arrow that lets me select 100 grams, or 1 tablespoon, or 1 teaspoon, or 3 ounces, etc. I ask because I eat my favorite foods often, but not always in the same portion size. I see this selection menu often, but I am unsure how to create it myself. Thanks in advance

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You need to set nutritional values for a defined amount when you create the food, but when you log it, you can eat whatever amount you choose.
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I find that if I enter something like "1 teaspoon (15 g)" as one serving for my creation, MFP automatically creates a drop down arrow of options for the teaspoons, grams, and sometimes even ounces. Strangely enough, the additional ounces option seems to be hit or miss when I create a food entry.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »
    I find that if I enter something like "1 teaspoon (15 g)" as one serving for my creation, MFP automatically creates a drop down arrow of options for the teaspoons, grams, and sometimes even ounces. Strangely enough, the additional ounces option seems to be hit or miss when I create a food entry.

It's not strange (if I understand you correctly) - only water (and a few other substances) weighs exactly 1 gram per milliliter. Food should be weighed whenever practically possible, not measured in volume.
  • AMRROL
    AMRROL Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    neldabg wrote: »

It never does that for me. Very curious
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I just make all of my serving sizes 1 gram. Then I use the number of grams as the number of servings I eat. So once I make a food, I'll weigh the end product. Let's say it weighs 1275 grams. I enter 1275 as the number of servings that the recipe makes. Then when I log it I'll measure how however much I want--let's say 100 grams--and I'd enter the number of grams (100) in the number of servings spot.
  • Colt1835
    Colt1835 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I just make all of my serving sizes 1 gram. Then I use the number of grams as the number of servings I eat. So once I make a food, I'll weigh the end product. Let's say it weighs 1275 grams. I enter 1275 as the number of servings that the recipe makes. Then when I log it I'll measure how however much I want--let's say 100 grams--and I'd enter the number of grams (100) in the number of servings spot.

I tried this with pineapple and it wouldn't track because many of the stats where less than 1. So now I make all my serving sizes 100 grams and just move the decimal back two places.
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    i saw the title of this thread and expected some Frankenstein kind of food monster creation.