How many ounces of water should you drink daily?

2»

Replies

• iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    I just wanted to point out that you said you weighed 314lbs. 158 OUNCES is significantly less than half your weight. 158 ounces is nearly 10lbs of water.

lololol. not quite.

I use the general rule of thumb of half your body weigh in ounces, so I aim for roughly a gallon. (I'm 250. Divided in half is 125. So it'd be 125 ounces, and a gallon is 128. /shrug). Do I always drink that much? No, but I try to stick pretty close to it. I may drink less or more depending on what i've done and my workout for the day.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    No set amount. Everyone is different. That's just silly. The amount of water you need depends on several factors. Why stick to some silly set number?

I use the hydration charts online such as this one. Easy
    http://www.ehealthstar.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/urine-color-chart-7.png
  • canadianvampyregurl
    canadianvampyregurl Posts: 231 Member
    I drink 10-15 cups per day :) that seems to work for me :) It's hard not to do the pee dance at work when I'm waiting for someone to watch the phone while I dance down the hall !!
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,110 Member
    I have an app on my phone to track water. It uses weight, age, and gender to determine how much and then reminds me to drink during the day. I update the weight when it changes. Currently I'm drinking just over 80oz a day
  • shortcdngirl
    shortcdngirl Posts: 56 Member
    Drink when your thirsty. The color of your urine will tell you if your hydrated or not. I don't buy into all of this so many glasses or ounces a day.thingy. Your thirst and urine color is accurate of what you need
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    I have no idea how much an ounce is.
  • SugarySweetheart
    SugarySweetheart Posts: 154 Member
    a minimum of 64oz daily
  • chonji4ever
    chonji4ever Posts: 120 Member
    Josh_lol wrote: »

1 ounce is 29.6 ml
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Oh
    Josh_lol wrote: »

1 ounce is 29.6 ml

Oh, so maybe like 60 ounces a day is borderline for staying sort of hydrated depending on pee colour and anything over is kind of a bonus. I probably drink around that much water and then sometimes have some soda on top of that in the day.
  • whatfatjeans
    whatfatjeans Posts: 12 Member
    This is something I'm struggling with. I was drinking a gallon of water, and as I lose weight it becomes more than half my body weight in ounces. However after talking to my doctor, she said your kidneys cannot filter the water enough and that it will make you tired and impact your potassium levels. Just to drink when you're thirsty (I was drinking water because I felt I had to drink the whole 128 ounces). Now I drink about 92 ounces in 15 hours.