Stupid questions?

Options
Hey folks,

Here is a stupid question for you.

Right now I am at 207 - lets say I get down to 170 (my goal) and I have a daily allowance of 1830 at my current weight would

1, As I lose weight this 1830 go down as I have less body fat
2, When I maintain weight at 170 what would be my intake - would it go up from 1830 - making me gain weight no?

Very confused, please help!

Cheers :)

Replies

• KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight your daily caloric need will get lower. So to maintain 170 lbs you will have to eat less than what it takes to maintain 200 lbs. Also as you lose weight MFP will lower your daily calorie allowance.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Do I understand correctly that 1830 is the amount of calories you were given to lose weight at 207? If so, then yes, to continue losing at the same rate you will need less calories as your body weight decreases. As you are closer to goal you may want to lose at a slower rate though, which would affect how many calories you get.

At 170 your maintenance calories may be more or less than 1830. If you are male, my guess is it would be more unless you are very sedentary. I'm a 50+ woman and I can maintain 160 lbs on more calories than that.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    As you lose weight your daily caloric need will get lower. So to maintain 170 lbs you will have to eat less than what it takes to maintain 200 lbs. Also as you lose weight MFP will lower your daily calorie allowance.

This. Make sure you are regularly updating your weight in MFP and it will update your daily calorie goal to compensate for your loss of mass. You can also switch MFP to maintenance, rather than a goal to lose a certain amount of weight per week, and it will show you how many calories you should be eating at that weight to stay the same weight.
  • benjaminD02
    benjaminD02 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I update my weight everyday. Yes I am male so it will be interesting to see what the maintain calorie allowance will be! The lowest I ever have been is 196 so I have a way to go after losing my way!! Thanks again :)