Gained it all back!

Options

Replies

• BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    After losing and re-gaining over the years, I am again in the process of losing. While looking at MFP reports one day, I started looking at the weight fluctuations and noticed a very distinct pattern. And, I can't even believe that I didn't notice it before. Over the past 3 or 4 years, I have started "dieting" as spring/summer approached. By end of summer each year, I was more than half way to my goal weight. But as fall came on, I quit tracking and fell off the MFP radar . . . every . . . single . . . year. Clearly, the cool crisp temperatures, more forgiving attire, and calorie laden treats of Autumn are my calorie counting Kryptonite. The challenge now is to be aware of my pattern and work harder to maintain my weight loss way of eating year-round. Sounds simple enough. But apparently I absolutely lose all form of sense from October to about April or May.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your reply @lauraesh0384
    When you say a lifestyle change do you mean tracking everything you eat? I realize my biggest downfall is in the evening where I do a lot of snacking in front of the T.V.

When I say lifestyle change I mean everything. Tracking calories, exercising regularly and just making smart decisions. Granted, you don't have to exercise, but I enjoy it and it allows me to eat more food. Plus when I don't exercise I turn into a sloth and don't have the energy or motivation for anything. When I gained all my weight back I stopped tracking my calories, didn't exercise (my only activity was really at work). I was eating loads of calories in excess of what I burned.

I had a bad habit of being a night time eater so I made the decision to cut myself off around 8pm. I would go rummaging through the kitchen not because I was hungry, but because I was bored. If you need to snack on something while watching TV, they have Smart Pop 100 calorie bags. A pretty good size bag for only 100 calories. I really like the kettle corn.

• Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    NatalieLJ wrote: »
    How many lb/kg are you hoping to lose, btw? I suspect we may be similar.

I want to lose 20 pounds. I am comfortable around 155 and am 5'7". The lowest I have even been was 145 and I stayed there for half a second... not realistic for me.

We have similar goals and measurements. Add me! :)
  • mcginger1
    mcginger1 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest thing is you have to commit to changing your relationship with food for life. Not for the duration of your "diet". Pretty much everyone gets to goal, thinks yahoo I did it! And hits the donuts. It's a recipe for disaster.

For me (and this is really the first time I've properly been committed to losing weight but I haven't found it hard or stressful, because I'm committed) it's about not trying to lose too aggressively and making sure I still live my life. I will get off track and that's okay as long as I nip it in the bud. I must make sure not to deprive myself of my favourite foods because I need to see how to practically make them fit as I will be eating those things for the rest of my life. And at all times I will have to vigilant probably because I have a tendency to let things creep. I am great at seeing it happening now though and reigning myself back in.

^^^This. I've been yo-yoing my whole life too, but due to a health issue last year, I've had to change my relationship with food. I've learned to understand when I'm hungry vs. when I'm bored. I've learned I don't need to eat as much, and truthfully, I feel a lot better when I don't overeat. I strive to eat a fruit/vegetable at every meal (I eat 5x/day), and have weaned myself off sugary foods. I don't limit anything, but I'm conscious of my macros and calorie goals.

This is not easy, but as VintageFeline said, this is for life. It's a marathon, and not a sprint. You've got to be committed and live your life this way - not just as a temporary diet - if you hope to maintain your goal weight.

I spent 4 months making sure my mindset was steady with the food relationship before I started with the exercise piece. I've signed onto ClassPass, and I now do at least 5 classes a week - sometimes even in the morning!! :-O I've been working hard, but I realize this is just the beginning... and that realization excites me. The possibilities are endless!!

Best of luck OP! I hope you're able to make the changes and stick to them to make you happy over the long haul.
  • locadeatar
    locadeatar Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I recently found myself in the same boat as you, lost a ton of weight, got bored with keeping track and gained it all back plus a couple of extra pounds within 3 years.
    My biggest advice for everyone that's gone through something similar is the thing that finally worked for me personally: Don't ignore the psychological aspect!
    A big part of my weight gain had to do with my depression issues and lack of self-love. Once I had a handle on the depression (after plenty of therapy) I got to work on my problem with self-esteem. Once I learned to love myself exactly as I am (extra pounds and all), I began taking better care of myself and the weight started just falling off.
    Now, 9 months since that drastic change in my perspective, I've lost almost 30 pounds. I need to lose about 20 pounds more, but I feel that it's easier this time around than it has ever been before. And it's all due to the fact that I actually love myself for who I am instead of how I look.

Best of luck with your weightloss journey!
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Yes @NatalieLJ I have definitely been living in denial!! Thank you for your feedback. Do you weigh once a week?

I weigh daily, so I can track the fluctuations and also to keep me accountable - if I weighed weekly, I'd end up eating badly because I'd tell myself there's still x number of days until weigh-in so it will be fine, lol. My weight loss is quite slow, so I also use Trendweight to see the trend as well as the actuals, which keeps me motivated and on track.

What a cool little website. First time I'm hearing of it. I also weigh daily and try to do a weekly average to account for fluctuations. Trendweight does the math for me. Really cool!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have yoyo'd plenty over the years. For the first time ever I am convinced that I'm done with yoyoing. I am throwing out clothes and plan to get my wedding ring resized. This confidence comes from having lost the weight very slowly. So slowly that I don't feel as though I've been dieting. And whenever I slip up (and I do), it's easy to jump back on track. Previously, once I'd had a bad day I procrastinated restarting the diet until I felt "I was ready" again. Often months went by. I procrastinated because I made the diets too difficult. I know it's nice to get to goal quickly but lasting results are more important imo.
  • heathershaw4785
    heathershaw4785 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you @CorneliusPhoton for your reply.

I realize, like a lot of things in life, weight loss is 20% head knowledge and 80% behavior. I have the knowledge part of it down but the behavior is a different story. I do really appreciate your feedback because it shows that you are knowledgeable on the subject and knowledge is power! Now if I could just channel that into will power I'd be set!
  • heathershaw4785
    Options
    I have been in the same boat as you. I have gone up and down in weight a few times. The last time I lost weight it wasn't even by trying. I had my gallbladder removed and found out I had IBS and hiatal hernia and struggled to keep food down. When I finally got to eating again I overdid it and shot up to 182lbs, my heaviest. I have completely revamped my diet. I have found ways to eat fun stuff and not feel deprived. For me this time it is easier because of my stomach problems. I feel so crappy after I eat the wrong stuff it makes me not want to. But I am also going slow. I'm counting and being harder on myself on the week days and being less strict on the weekends. This way I don't ever feel like I'm missing out. And because the weight lose is going a bit slower, I will be building these habits for longer before I meet goal weight. I may stop weighing and counting everything but I have gotten into a good habit of cooking now and everything I make because of my stomach restrictions are pretty low calorie. So I think I can do it.

Just believe in yourself. Make a choice and stick with it. Find a balance that works for you where you can eat right without feeling like it is a lot of work or effort.

Health problems don't make this any easier, that is for sure! I too was diagnosed with IBS and eating salads the last few days have been really rough on my system.
    It is hard for me to to stick to 1200 calories a day. I have tracked breakfast, lunch and one snack and I only have 350 calories left for the day! So what ends up happening is that I eat anyway I just don't track. This has been my downfall most recently. I think you are right, I need to believe in myself and stick with it!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I have been in the same boat as you. I have gone up and down in weight a few times. The last time I lost weight it wasn't even by trying. I had my gallbladder removed and found out I had IBS and hiatal hernia and struggled to keep food down. When I finally got to eating again I overdid it and shot up to 182lbs, my heaviest. I have completely revamped my diet. I have found ways to eat fun stuff and not feel deprived. For me this time it is easier because of my stomach problems. I feel so crappy after I eat the wrong stuff it makes me not want to. But I am also going slow. I'm counting and being harder on myself on the week days and being less strict on the weekends. This way I don't ever feel like I'm missing out. And because the weight lose is going a bit slower, I will be building these habits for longer before I meet goal weight. I may stop weighing and counting everything but I have gotten into a good habit of cooking now and everything I make because of my stomach restrictions are pretty low calorie. So I think I can do it.

Just believe in yourself. Make a choice and stick with it. Find a balance that works for you where you can eat right without feeling like it is a lot of work or effort.

Health problems don't make this any easier, that is for sure! I too was diagnosed with IBS and eating salads the last few days have been really rough on my system.
    It is hard for me to to stick to 1200 calories a day. I have tracked breakfast, lunch and one snack and I only have 350 calories left for the day! So what ends up happening is that I eat anyway I just don't track. This has been my downfall most recently. I think you are right, I need to believe in myself and stick with it!

Boom. Here's your issue. Pick a less aggressive weight loss goal. I can almost guarantee this has been your downfall in the past. There is no need for a 5'7 woman to be eating 1200 calories a day, no wonder you can't keep it up for any length of time and hit the food like a starved dog once you get to goal! You're hungry!

And do you exercise? And eat any of those calories back?
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I think a bunch of us have been there. I lost about 50 lbs., gained it back, lost it again... It happens. Just get back on the horse after you fall off and get back after it. It happens to tons of us, don't beat yourself up.

You've done it before, you can do it again! Good luck!
  • heathershaw4785
    Options
    @tena1028 Thank you!! I think I will start measuring also. That way my goal isn't just weight focused.

• lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options

Boom. Here's your issue. Pick a less aggressive weight loss goal. I can almost guarantee this has been your downfall in the past. There is no need for a 5'7 woman to be eating 1200 calories a day, no wonder you can't keep it up for any length of time and hit the food like a starved dog once you get to goal! You're hungry!

This. I'm 5'6" and I eat around 1900-2000 most days, eating back about 75% of my exercise calories.
  • heathershaw4785
    Options
    @VintageFeline @lauraesh0384 you are right. I am going to change my goal to make it more realistic. I think I lost so fast with WW because I was practically starving. Thank you both!!
  • heathershaw4785
    Options
    I think a bunch of us have been there. I lost about 50 lbs., gained it back, lost it again... It happens. Just get back on the horse after you fall off and get back after it. It happens to tons of us, don't beat yourself up.

You've done it before, you can do it again! Good luck!

Thank you for the encouragement. I had hoped I wouldn't be in this position again but you are right I can do it again!
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    BABetter1 wrote: »
    Yes @NatalieLJ I have definitely been living in denial!! Thank you for your feedback. Do you weigh once a week?

I weigh daily, so I can track the fluctuations and also to keep me accountable - if I weighed weekly, I'd end up eating badly because I'd tell myself there's still x number of days until weigh-in so it will be fine, lol. My weight loss is quite slow, so I also use Trendweight to see the trend as well as the actuals, which keeps me motivated and on track.

What a cool little website. First time I'm hearing of it. I also weigh daily and try to do a weekly average to account for fluctuations. Trendweight does the math for me. Really cool!

It's useful isn't it? Glad to have helped :)

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Been there. Done that. Doing it again...but this time with a maintenance plan in mind (it's called MFP). I still have 50 more pounds to lose but I am determined it is going to be the last time I have to lose weight.
  • heathershaw4785
    Options

I have not been exercising lately since I have been in a slump but I do wear a Fitbit and am intending to up my steps daily. Do you recommend eating those calories back? If not won't it help me reach my goal faster?
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options

It is hard for me to to stick to 1200 calories a day. I have tracked breakfast, lunch and one snack and I only have 350 calories left for the day! So what ends up happening is that I eat anyway I just don't track. This has been my downfall most recently. I think you are right, I need to believe in myself and stick with it![/quote]

Why are you eating salads then? Salads are NOT necessary for weight loss.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I have not been exercising lately since I have been in a slump but I do wear a Fitbit and am intending to up my steps daily. Do you recommend eating those calories back? If not won't it help me reach my goal faster?

MFP uses what is known as the NEAT method. It gives you a goal based on no exercise. So it is designed for you to eat at least some of your earned calories back (also assuming you've picked the correct activity level, with an activity tracker the recommendation is to set it to sedentary). A bigger deficit can mean more weight loss but that doesn't necessarily mean fat loss, the body can only metabolise so much stored fat in a day. After that it metabolises lean mass (muscle) and you don't want to lose that!

Aside from that, at 1200 calories, you were at bottom limit of what MFP will give a woman as a goal because it is generally accepted this is the minimum needed to meet basic nutritional needs. Any activity over and above that is not fuelled and can lead to burnout and/or health issues pretty quickly. Your being taller will make this even more of an issue, your body naturally needs a little more fuel.

Of course, tracking your intake accurately will also help you see exactly where you are and what your numbers are and better prepare you for maintenance.