Ruined my breakfast

Options

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I don't get the protein powder thing. You're spending a pretty penny to get something you can get from food. And then you have to eat protein powder instead of food. To each their own and all, but I'm mystified that so many people do this.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Jruzer wrote: »
    I don't get the protein powder thing. You're spending a pretty penny to get something you can get from food. And then you have to eat protein powder instead of food. To each their own and all, but I'm mystified that so many people do this.

Because calorie for calorie, it's cheaper than food.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I've never tried protein powder and never want to. I get plenty of protein from food, so never felt the need to even try it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I don't use it that often, but why people do is not tough to understand. It tastes good and is convenient.

For example, my oatmeal example. I like oatmeal sometimes as a quick breakfast after a run (cooking takes a while, but I do it in a rice cooker while running). I could eat some leftover chicken or cottage cheese on the side, but sometimes I just want a bowl of oatmeal, but don't want a breakfast that is a lot lower in protein than my usual (protein at breakfast is something I've found helpful). So I add it to the oatmeal and that it also tastes really good with the oatmeal and berries is an added bonus.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

Maybe if you get a good price for powder or a high price for other food? I don't buy protein powder so I don't know what good prices are, but Google U. shows me this:

Gold Standard Whey (bb.com): $15/lb, 14 servings/lb, 120 kcal/serving
    Body Fortress Whey (Mart of Wals): $18/container, 18 servings/container, 200 kcal/serving
    Eggs: $3/doz, 12 servings/doz, 70 kcal/serving
    2% Milk: $3/gallon, 16 cups/gallon, 122 kcal/cup

Quick math:
    GS Whey: $15/[(120 kcal/srv)(14 srv)] = 0.89 cents/kcal
    BF Whey: $18/[(200 kcal/srv)(18 srv)] = 0.50 cents/kcal
    Eggs: $3/[(70 kcal/egg)(12 eggs)] = 0.36 cents/kcal
    2% Milk: $3/[(122 kcal/c)(16 c)] = 0.15 cents/kcal

• Hornsby
    Options

Maybe if you get a good price for powder or a high price for other food? I don't buy protein powder so I don't know what good prices are, but Google U. shows me this:

Body Fortress Whey (Mart of Wals): $18/container, 18 servings/container, 200 kcal/serving

Quick math:

Yes, that would be the price per calorie. Now do it with price per calorie of PROTEIN.
  • Jruzer
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I don't use it that often, but why people do is not tough to understand. It tastes good and is convenient.

For example, my oatmeal example. I like oatmeal sometimes as a quick breakfast after a run (cooking takes a while, but I do it in a rice cooker while running). I could eat some leftover chicken or cottage cheese on the side, but sometimes I just want a bowl of oatmeal, but don't want a breakfast that is a lot lower in protein than my usual (protein at breakfast is something I've found helpful). So I add it to the oatmeal and that it also tastes really good with the oatmeal and berries is an added bonus.

That's cool and makes sense.
  • Jruzer
    Options

Quick math:

Yes, that would be the price per calorie. Now do it with price per calorie of PROTEIN.

Well, that's not what you originally said, but OK.

Assuming whey powder is 100% protein and that 2% milk has 32 kcalp:

BF Whey: 0.50 cents/kcalp
    2% Milk: 0.57 cents/kcalp

So the cheapest protein powder is ~15% cheaper than 2% milk on a price per protein basis. I don't find that particularly motivating myself.

I'm really not looking for an argument, though. People can eat and drink what they like with no argument from me. I pay extra money for Greek yogurt and egg whites because I prefer those things to protein powders. Maybe I had too much Instant Breakfast when I was a kid.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    All I use it for is a quick shake (with water, not milk), usually at night, to make sure I have enough protein in my day. I aim for 100, but some days only get 65-70. So I'll have a quick shake to bring my total up.

And sometimes I use it in baking protein bars or snacks.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Quick math:

So the cheapest protein powder is ~15% cheaper than 2% milk on a price per protein basis. I don't find that particularly motivating myself.

I'm really not looking for an argument, though. People can eat and drink what they like with no argument from me. I pay extra money for Greek yogurt and egg whites because I prefer those things to protein powders. Maybe I had too much Instant Breakfast when I was a kid.

That's fine. I'm not arguing. You said you didn't get why people used it. I was giving you a reason.
    1. It's cheaper per calorie of protein (No, I didn't say that originally but I thought since we were talking about protein it was implied)
    2. It is mainly protein so you don't have the other calories to worry about
    3. It's convenient.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've never had protein powder. Lately, I've been thinking it might be a good idea since I'm a little low on protein and pregnant...But then I started reading ingredients in these powders and they didn't sound good for a baby. I can't get anything with soy either since I'm allergic. Anyone got a good protein powder with no artificial sweeteners and like 2 ingredients? My doctor said I can use them but to read the ingredients and make sure they don't have a bunch of ingredients.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I like whey protein powder in my oatmeal. I'll use vanilla, chocolate, or peanut butter. The trick is to put in only a little at a time, stir until mixed, add a little more, repeat. That, and make sure the oatmeal is still a little on the runny side, so the water can absorb some of the powder.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like protein powder in oatmeal, it gives some flavor and there's no need for added sweetener.

However, it really depends on the brand, and I've only tried whey protein.
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple thing when it comes to proteins. First of all, if you are vegan, pea protein is awesome but expensive and the "unflavored" doesn't really alter the flavor of anything it is added to. For vegetarians, you can try just about anything, but keep in mind stuff like hemp, regardless if you get "unflavored" will still have a flavor. Hemp is known to add a bitter and woodsy taste to things. For me, I find "unflavored" whey to be as close as you can get to ZERO FLAVOR. If you are not vegan or vegetarian, I am a huge fan of Isopure. But be warned, it is not cheap...it does have only 2 ingredients though; Whey Protein Isolate and Soy Lecithin.

I add it to just about anything and it doesn't change the taste one bit. But, if you can get your protein requirements through traditional methods, no need to add protein powder to the mix.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Interesting discussion, I've never tasted these powders. Sometimes I use milk or whey (from Greek yoghurt making) in bread making instead of water to up the protein (also makes the bread keep better) and have added skimmed milk powder in East Asian style bread recipes, which only does good things for the texture and flavour.

I wonder if anyone's tried adding protein powders to bread recipes? An unflavoured whey protein should work well and would benefit the bread overall, I would have thought. It's also complementary to the protein in the wheat, which is a bonus.

I don't know about flavoured powders, but I have added Horlick's before (chocolate malt powder) when i ran out of milk powder! It was pretty good. Sweet, but worked because I was using half wholemeal flour, which benefits from a touch of sweetness.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've never had protein powder. Lately, I've been thinking it might be a good idea since I'm a little low on protein and pregnant...But then I started reading ingredients in these powders and they didn't sound good for a baby. I can't get anything with soy either since I'm allergic. Anyone got a good protein powder with no artificial sweeteners and like 2 ingredients? My doctor said I can use them but to read the ingredients and make sure they don't have a bunch of ingredients.

Unflavored pea protein powder is usually just pea protein, I think. Same with most of the hemp protein powders I have seen. You'd want to mix them with other things, I'm sure, but that way you could choose your ingredients (I am sure they make unflavored whey protein too if that is something you'd prefer, I just know about those two because I'm vegan).
  • Jruzer
    edited June 2016
    Options

Quick math:

That's fine. I'm not arguing. You said you didn't get why people used it. I was giving you a reason.
    1. It's cheaper per calorie of protein (No, I didn't say that originally but I thought since we were talking about protein it was implied)
    2. It is mainly protein so you don't have the other calories to worry about
    3. It's convenient.

10-4, good buddy. High fives all around.

Bonus content:
    youtu.be/W-3qt3FKfPc?t=5m42s
    (not posting full URL 'cause the image linked is a little risque')
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Let me start off by saying that I have never used protein powders. I don't find them necessary (personally) as I am able to get adequate protein through food. However, everyone on here seems to use some sort of protein powder so when the drugstore in my town had free samples of hemp protein powder I decided what the hell I'll give it a try. It said right on the pack that u could put it in smoothies, hot cereal and baked goods. So I put it in my oatmeal with blueberries and cinnamon and topped with 1 tbsp of brown sugar.all I can say is YUCK! It was truly awful and ruined my breakfast. Never again! I have another free sample at home that is going to be pitched into the garbage.

Well duh? "Hemp" protein? Really...why would you assume that all protein powders taste like that crap you tried? :s

My breakfast this morning was a scoop of Chocolate PB Syntha 6 in a cup of skim milk, and it was absolutely delicious. (I never use water - always skim milk!) I've tried lots of different powders over the years, and only in the last few came to find that Syntha-6 and Optimum make powders that taste not just good, but very VERY good...to ME.

Dumping a scoop in milk and drinking it on the way to work in the morning is a very convenient and tasty way for me to get in some extra protein in my breakfast. I don't particularly like to eat the same darn thing every day, so some days it's oatmeal, some days eggbeaters, some days yogurt/Kashi, and some days - a protein shake.

If you don't like a protein powder shake, then you certainly don't have to drink them.:smile:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I've tried a few vegan protein powders and they ALL tasted revolting and have a weird texture :sick:

Not all protein powders taste like vegan ones, they are certainly in a class all on their own lol

I love, love, love Optimum Nutrition chocolate/peanut butter casein and Quest protein powders. They take oatmeal to the next level and make it taste better, not worse. I also add protein powder to plain yogurt, cottage cheese and make yummy smoothies.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    One time I won a sample of Vega sport vanilla. I love whey protein powder mixed with water so I decided to use just water with the Vega. I know some people love it but omg I regretted drinking that