wear HRM for 24 hours?

Options
NormInv
NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
If someone did that, would the calorie burn count be accurate?

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    I aksed a question. You will not ignore me!!!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    No. HRM's are only designed to measure steady state cardio activity. They are completely inaccurate and useless for anything else.
  • AmandaReimer1
    AmandaReimer1 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    There are specific HRM's for this purpose. Bodymedia or a fitbit for example. But, not a regular one.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    no
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    No.
  • MsDrJuris
    MsDrJuris Posts: 41
    Options
    No.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Yes. Make sure you wear it while you're lifting too, it's especially accurate for that.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    There are specific HRM's for this purpose. Bodymedia or a fitbit for example. But, not a regular one.

FYI, the BodyMedia and Fitbit devices don't measure heart rate. Which is fine, because I don't think heart rate is a very good proxy for calorie burn to begin with. I think the Bodymedia and Fitbit devices are generally superior to HRMs by quite a bit, with the Fitbit winning out because it's less cumbersome (I don't think the extra sensors on the Bodymedia add much of value to the package, and it's much clunkier).
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this because I wore my Polar FT4 for 24 hours before and it was on 10 calories off the Holter I had to wear for 24 hours for my cardiologist
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I am bumping this because I wore my Polar FT4 for 24 hours before and it was on 10 calories off the Holter I had to wear for 24 hours for my cardiologist

Holter monitors do not/cannot measure calories.
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Well, my cardiologist had something attached to it that did because I had a readout along with my pages of charts graphing my heart rate that calculated my calories burned.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    no. If you want to do that get a body media fit or a fit bit.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I did it for 24 hours just to get an idea of what I burned during sleep/inactivity. It was shocking to find out I only burned about 52 calories per hour! So, yeah you could, but I think it would be a waste of your battery and unnecessary to use it 24/7.

Edited to add that I used a Polar Ft4 during my experiment. :)