Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is A Change Of Routine Really Necessary?

alisonengland
alisonengland Posts: 110 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I appear to be sat on my big a** on a plateau at the moment and I havent been able to work out as I would like as I have a tendon problem. However, whenever anyone mentions the evil plateau the advice is normally 'change your workout', 'do something different'. My question is that if you are still doing the same routines, though doing them for longer or at a slightly higher level, and you do them until your HRM tells you that you have burnt 600 calories for example, why change? Is the 'change' advice merely because 30 mins on the eliptical at level 10 no longer burns the same amount of calories it did two months ago...I don't mind doing longer, I don't mind upping the level.

I love the eliptical, I can do it with my sore foot. I ran the other day for the first time in two weeks and it was painful but OK. These are my favourite cardio workouts so is it really necessary to start spinning or swimming? I hate them..:mad:

Thanks for any advice!

Replies

• kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    A change of workout is always good. After a while your body gets used to a certain exercise. That being said.......dont change to an exercise you hate -- because you wont do it. May I suggest, if you love the eliptical, change your resistance level, your RPM, your program, youtr intensity. Try doing intervals on the eliptical. Just because a change might be warranted -- doesnt necessarily mean a change in machine.

Same goes for weight lifting. How many different weights are there and machines and ways to lift????? Almost infanite.

Good luck.
  • mrsw510
    mrsw510 Posts: 169
    What I do on the elliptical that has seemed to help to break out of my plateau is resistance intervals. So if I was planning on doing it for 60 minutes I would do for example 10 min at resistance level 8, 10 min at level 9, 20 min at level 10, 10 min at 9, 10 min at 8. I don't know if it will work for you but it helped me out.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    I also want to point out that you will lose less calories for the same amount of work as you lose weight. If a 200 lb person exercises for 30 minutes, they will lose more than if a 130 lb person did the same routine. As you get more fit, the exercises become easier and you will burn less calories.
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,114 Member
    I appear to be sat on my big a** on a plateau at the moment and I havent been able to work out as I would like as I have a tendon problem. However, whenever anyone mentions the evil plateau the advice is normally 'change your workout', 'do something different'. My question is that if you are still doing the same routines, though doing them for longer or at a slightly higher level, and you do them until your HRM tells you that you have burnt 600 calories for example, why change? Is the 'change' advice merely because 30 mins on the eliptical at level 10 no longer burns the same amount of calories it did two months ago...I don't mind doing longer, I don't mind upping the level.

I love the eliptical, I can do it with my sore foot. I ran the other day for the first time in two weeks and it was painful but OK. These are my favourite cardio workouts so is it really necessary to start spinning or swimming? I hate them..:mad:

Thanks for any advice!

Great question!

I don't have an answer, but was wondering the same thing. I also :heart: ,:heart: ,:heart: the elliptical. Just recently I used a new Elliptical style machine at the gym. It's allows you to use it as the elliptical, stepper and the "Gazelle" type stride. I loved it and was wondering if it was considered a "change" in my routine.

I would continue on your elliptical and experiment with all the different programs on the elliptical. :flowerforyou: Hope your foot is better soon. :flowerforyou:
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    I'd try upping your intensity before upping your total workout time. You're probably getting more "in shape" and becoming more efficient at getting through your workout. Really shock that heart rate and make it a little uncomfortable - you know you're getting a great workout then.

Try doing intervals - presumably your elipitical machine has an "interval" workout? Should be hard for a minute or so then back to regular pace for, say, 2 minutes, then hard again for a minute.

Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.