Couch to 5k Questions

Options
Okay everyone,

I just started C25k, and I am doing it outside, so it is a lot more difficult than my usual cardio on the treadmill. I found myself so tired yesterday during the 1st day of the 2nd week, I could barely finish, but I did and today felt better. I am not sure if 3 days a week is enough. I don't want an injury, but I just feel like I should be doing more. I signed up for a 5k with a friend, and although I know I can walk some, I would really like to run the whole thing. Have any of you done it more than 3 days a week? Do you do any other exercises? Should I be lifting? I want to do everything I can to lose weight on top of training for the 5k. What do you suggest. I need some guidance.

Thanks!!

Replies

• davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Yep, outside is going to be much harder than the treadmill, especially if it's hot and / or hilly where you are! 3 days a week is definitely enough to get you to 5K and if you are struggling with the workouts, the solution is NOT to run more! This will only increase your chance of injury. If you want to do more, try cross-training on the elliptical or swimming.

In terms of losing weight, it's hard to beat weight training -- you can look for exercises that work your larger muscle groups (thighs, glutes, abs, shoulders, back); that is the best for losing weight. This will have the added benefit of helping you get stronger to reduce the chance of injury in your 5K training.