how does lifting weight with dumbbells affect my calorie intake ?

Options
2»

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    angpowers wrote: »
    And yes, you can build muscle on a deficit -- eat your macros -- get plenty of protein, stay hydrated, rest well and you will gain muscle

Aside from newbie gains, how is one going to gain weight while in a deficit?

http://shreddedbyscience.com/can-you-gain-weight-in-a-calorie-deficit/
  • dhimaan
    dhimaan Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    And yes, you can build muscle on a deficit -- eat your macros -- get plenty of protein, stay hydrated, rest well and you will gain muscle

No you cannot. Maybe if you are a complete beginner. It goes against the law of thermodynamics.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Aside from newbie gains, how is one going to gain weight while in a deficit?

http://shreddedbyscience.com/can-you-gain-weight-in-a-calorie-deficit/

Thanks for the link. It's firewall blocked for me, but I will check it out later.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    dhimaan wrote: »

No you cannot. Maybe if you are a complete beginner. It goes against the law of thermodynamics.

Strong contradicting sentence.

No you can't, but yes you can.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

So much wrong here.

1) As LolBroScience mentioned above - you've contradicted yourself;
    2) There are 4 laws of thermodynamics (if you consider the zeroth law) - not the law of thermodynamics;
    3) I'm going to assume you meant the 1st law, which deals with the conservation of energy? OK, there's no breaking of that law here. It's easier in a surplus, but as long as enough energy is available, and the raw materials are present, then it can be done.

Can you build muscle while in a deficit? Yes, but I generally wouldn't count on it. If you do, great! If not, then be glad that you (hopefully) kept most of your lean mass.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    delgrand wrote: »
    Larissa_NY wrote: »
    delgrand wrote: »
    I am surprised to be honest . I read somewhere that weight lifting is the "master of weight loss"

If it does not burn calories, then why is it called " the master of weight loss"?

I don't know that anyone does call it that. If they do, I've never heard it. You'd have to ask the person who said it.

It's not that weight lifting doesn't burn calories. Any activity burns calories. Being alive burns calories. I have a set goal of lifting at least 10,000 pounds total at every session, and when you're a 5'3 woman moving five tons of iron an hour three or four times a week places certain energy demands on your body. The problem is that there's no effective way to figure out exactly how many calories are burned because there are just too many variables - body weight and composition, type of exercise, length of rest periods, how close you're working to your max effort, and so on and so forth.

That was my argument. I can't imagine that weight lifting will not consume any calories!

After weight lifting you will feel tired, and hungry, so you have to eat. That means if weight lifting does not burn calories, then you will eat more than the number of calories that MFP says you should eat.

Well... no.

First, lifting may or may not make you hungry. It doesn't make me hungry.

Second, just because you feel hungry doesn't mean you have to eat. If it's not mealtime, just live with it for a while.

Third, even if you go straight home from lifting and make dinner, or even a snack, it doesn't mean you'll go over your calorie limit. The process of not going over your calorie limit is exactly the same whether you lift weights or not.
  • dhimaan
    Options

I said 'maybe'. It does not mean a definite yes. Your logic is very strong.

• dhimaan
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @TR0berts Can you build muscle while in a deficit? Yes

Yes it should be assumed it is the first law. Why would I be talking about anything relating to entropy or disorder? I do not need to be pedantic in a random internet forum. Thankfully you are to fill my void. If you believe you can build muscle in a deficit good for you. I am not going to argue with you. Not worth my time.

• LolBroScience
    Options

I said 'maybe'. It does not mean a definite yes. Your logic is very strong.

Read your first sentence.
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    @TR0berts Can you build muscle while in a deficit? Yes

Yes it should be assumed it is the first law. Why would I be talking about anything relating to entropy or disorder? I do not need to be pedantic in a random internet forum. Thankfully you are to fill my void. If you believe you can build muscle in a deficit good for you. I am not going to argue with you. Not worth my time.

While not optimal compared to being in a surplus, there are cited studies where trained athletes have done so, as well as those that are "retraining". Circumstances outside of "newbie gains".

So... You're wrong either way.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    A new beginner can absolutely build muscle in a deficit. Depends how steep the deficit, your lifting program and your macros are important.

All newbie gainz taper off!! It is short lived on growth.. if you want bigger muscles you need bigger amounts of calories and heavy progressive overload strength program!

This is not broscience.. it is a fact!

Edited to add: I use the 100 - 150 calories per hour for my lifting except leg day. As ninerbuff mentioned perhaps men can use the 300 - 350 calories range per hour. I do absolutely get hungry actually "hangry" on certain lifting days.

Eat the calories you need to stay in calorie goals but also energy balance. If you have to start out eating only some calories in the beginning as you start lifting and then up each week as you progress in your lifting.. you will need it.