Grocery store dysfunction

Options
I have been on so many different diets , no carbs, low carbs, pale, gluten free etc so now when I go in the grocery store I don't know what to buy or do from years of dysfunctional eating. Any suggestions on how to shop functionally instead of dysfunctional?

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    What are your goals and what do you like to eat?
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    For dieting, I always keep my fridge and kitchen counter top stocked up with eggs, bread, cheese, salad, various nuts, dried fruits, coffee, tea...

For non dieting meals, I practically shop for anything I find interesting.
  • natalia50ish2014
    natalia50ish2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks fiber note to self
  • natalia50ish2014
    natalia50ish2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My goal is to eat when I am hungry and not overeat when I eat and replace stress eating with other coping skills, I like fruit, not alot of veggies I don't like, meat seafood popcorn but have difficult time not overeating with carbs, sushi. Would like to lose 50
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    My goal is to eat when I am hungry and not overeat when I eat and replace stress eating with other coping skills, I like fruit, not alot of veggies I don't like, meat seafood popcorn but have difficult time not overeating with carbs, sushi. Would like to lose 50

That is great. My approach is kinda like that, too. " eat when I am hungry" and you may want to add pay attention to energy level. There's no reason to eat like a construction worker when your work is behind a desk!

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Plan meals. Make a grocery list. Eat food you like.
    Log food you eat. Stick to your calorie goal.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

One of the things I struggle with is being organized as I try to cook more. Here is a shot of the list I carry in my purse, with the ongoing things we always have on hand but are getting low; a very short area for splurges (the ez cheese is NOT for me but all the gelato is!) and then a column for the recipes I am planning for the week. I try to carry my lunch every day, so having simple, filling things like cheese sticks or guacamole packs is important, and I already know how those fit in my calorie budget. I also like to have frozen lunches on hand as I will make a large recipe of pot roast and portion it out, but can't eat the same thing day after day so this is an easy way to break it up.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but sometimes I just feel hopeless when it comes to tackling the grocer, usually due to a complete lack of time, and this helps keep me on track and focused on the right kinds of calories.

It is also very important for me not to shop when I am hungry!

lcpc588rr41h.jpeg