CBC Radio: Fat and Sugar, Part 1

Options
CBC Radio: Fat and Sugar, Part 1

Includes all of the usual suspects and is more of the same so far TBH but worthwhile just for the old food Snackwell and margarine commercials they include. Part 2 airs Wednesday, June 22.

Guests in the program:
  • Gary Taubes, science journalist, author of Why We Get Fat, and Good Calories, Bad Calories
  • Nina Teicholz, science journalist, author of The Big Fat Surprise
  • Marion Nestle, Professor of Nutrition, Food Studies and Public Health at New York University
  • Robert H. Lustig, Pediatric Endocrinologist, Director of the Weight Assessment for Teen and Child Health Program at the University of California, San Francisco Benioff Children's Hospital
  • Dariush Mozaffarian, cardiologist and Dean of the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy at Tufts University
  • Leonard Syme, Professor Emeritus, Epidemiology and Community Health, University of California, Berkeley
  • Walter Willett, Professor of Epidemiology and Nutrition, and Chair of the Department of Nutrition at the Harvard School of Public Health, Harvard University.
  • Barry Sears, Biochemist and President of the Inflammation Research Foundation
  • Christopher Labos, cardiologist, epidemiologist and science journalist
  • David Ludwig endocrinologist, researcher and professor at the Harvard Medical School and the Harvard School of Public Health, Director of the New Balance Foundation Obesity Prevention Center at the Boston Children's Hospital
  • David L. Katz MD, founding director of Yale University's Yale-Griffin Prevention Research Center, and President of the American College of Lifestyle Medicine

"It's the hormone insulin that makes you fat and keeps you fat. It's also the hormone insulin in excess that's the number one predictor of heart disease. In essence we've been fighting the wrong enemy the last 15 years. The enemy has never been fat. The enemy has been excess production of insulin. There's [sic] two ways you can produce excess levels of insulin in your body. One, is to eat too many fat-free carbohydrates at any one meal. And two, eat too many calories at any one meal. In the last 15 years, especially in America, Americans have been doing exactly that."
-- Barry Sears

"Farmers have known for thousands of years, the way you fatten up any animal is to put them in a pen so they can't run around, and then you feed them lots of grain, basically carbohydrates, whole-grain carbohydrates. Those animals predictably get fat. So we've basically created a North American feed lot where we have people exercising very little, eating lots of refined starches. Things like white bread and potatoes and white rice as well as all the sodas and things made with large amounts of sugar. And not surprisingly, we're getting fat."
-- Walter Willet

Replies

• spirot123
    spirot123 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    How do you overcome the cravings for sugary foods? In trying to eliminate/ reduce them from my diet feels like withdrawal. What are the strategies to overcome these seemingly initial and strong withdrawal symptoms? Are there supplements or substitutes to tricking the body and help it ease the transition ?
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Sounded interesting until I saw the guest line up. Going to pass :p
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    eta: just realized this was a necro thread lol.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    eta: just realized this was a necro thread lol.

It may be a zombie thread but, coincidentally, Gary Taubes is back on CBC's "The Current" today demonizing sugar.....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Necro thread or not, that's a pretty impressive list over all.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I never did listen to this one. I'm glad it popped up again.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    And my tax money goes to support this crap.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

And some diversity of opinion. That quote from Willett makes him sound like an anti carb pro fat zealot, and he's not, although he's critical of the SAD, including the amount of refined carbs and sugar in it (which IMO is a pretty fair assessment if SAD means "what Americans eat on average," even though of course many people eat differently). Willett is also a defender of limiting sat fat and basically the recommendations of the Harvard nutrition site. Nestle is pretty similar.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

And some diversity of opinion. That quote from Willett makes him sound like an anti carb pro fat zealot, and he's not, although he's critical of the SAD, including the amount of refined carbs and sugar in it (which IMO is a pretty fair assessment if SAD means "what Americans eat on average," even though of course many people eat differently). Willett is also a defender of limiting sat fat and basically the recommendations of the Harvard nutrition site. Nestle is pretty similar.

Oh, I didn't take his quote that way since he says "a lot" and ties it to a lack of exercise. I've read a few articles by that guy (Willet) and he always seems pretty reasonable. I like that he mentions exercise in nutrition articles.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    spirot123 wrote: »
    How do you overcome the cravings for sugary foods?

I suspect the same way you'd deal with cravings for any foods: (1) eat a satisfying diet; (2) break any habits that cause you to want to eat at unplanned times (for me grazing is a terrible idea and I mainly eat at mealtime); and (3) try including your favorites in your diet within a structure, don't shame yourself or decide it's sinful to eat "bad foods" (can make it more tempting to make it forbidden), and remember that if you want more tomorrow you can have more tomorrow.

Also remember that lots of foods are satisfying and sweet (or creamy, which tends to be more what I like). Fruit, for example.

Because I tend to be an emotional eater I also found it useful to cut out the stuff I would run to for a month or so to teach myself to deal with stress/emotion in other ways. Even now I try not to use it for emotional purposes.

Some people find it helps them to cut it out entirely overall (or but for rare occasions) since they enjoy having it never more than having an unsatisfying little bit and they find they don't miss it if they don't eat it. Not my experience, but if the other methods don't work worth a try. I'd say definitely don't do this in a way that demonizes the food and tells yourself that eating it is a sign of weakness or makes you a bad person or pathetic or some such, though, as that can lead to a really negative result and make the problem worse. I'd also try to avoid telling yourself you cannot control how much you eat as that's a good way to ensure that any time you eat something it's a binge (especially if in the back of your head you are thinking "this is the last time ever" and "I've already blown it, might as well go wild.")
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Oh, I didn't take his quote that way since he says "a lot" and ties it to a lack of exercise. I've read a few articles by that guy (Willet) and he always seems pretty reasonable. I like that he mentions exercise in nutrition articles.

Ah, we agree.