Opinions on loose skin surgery?

Options
2»

Replies

• Pikashel
    Pikashel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've seen cases where women have lost 100+ lbs and have hardly any loose skin at all, and then I've seen women lose the same amount and they have miles of loose skin (not literally). So who knows how bad yours will be once you lose all the weight. Thats what i've based my stance on, I've lost 83/150 lbs and so far my loose skin isn't super bad, then again it's also still full of fat. :) I read that it will tighten up over 2 years after you lose weight, but the amount it will tighten depends on the person. I assume its largely genetics.

My viewpoint is, i'm not going to worry about the loose skin until I reach my goal. Then i'll take a step back and look at how much I have, and say to myself.. am I comfortable with this body? If the answer is yes, i'll continue on my merry little way without surgery. If the answer is no, I'll look into surgery bc I believe it's a valid option and I've seen lots of ladies come out of surgery looking fantastic.

That's my plan too, but I'm asking just to be prepared. I would much rather have loose skin than be morbidly obese.
  • Pikashel
    Pikashel Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Can_Do_Gal wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    Losing weight slowly will help minimize how much your skin shrinkage rate outpaces your fat loss rate. But none of these things will prevent loose skin or increase its shrinkage.

I've lost 149 pounds with at least 89 to go. I started last July, so I'm losing kinda quickly. I asked my doctor about fast weight loss & loose skin & this is exactly what he said. Rate of WL has nothing to do with how much loose skin you end up with after maintaining for a year plus.

Insurance is only going to cover it if if it's medically necessary in some way. Some insurance companies are unwilling to cover any loose skin surgery. The ones that cover it are willing to cover a panniculectomy only from what I've read. (That's the loose skin on your belly below your belly button.) And they only cover that when it's a medical issue. Frequent yeast infections count, as does difficulty walking, I think. Maybe other issues. Generally your pannus (hanging down belly) also has to cover your pubis. And you have to have lost 100+ pounds & kept it off for a year. I am not aware of any insurance companies that cover upper arms, thighs, or body contouring. (I think that's the term for your rear & hips & stomach above your belly button.)

Don't let fears of loose skin keep you from taking care of yourself. I think I'm going to end up with a lot of it, and it's a pain & causing some issues. But I'm tons healthier, and I feel tons better, and that's way more important.

Definitely would rather have loose skin than be morbidly obese. I am just asking to be prepared. Thanks for the info and congrats on all the hard work!
  • Annahbananas
    Annahbananas Posts: 284 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Almost every picture I see on the internet of this brand new invented "loose skin" phenomenon falls into one of two categories: 1) people who legitimately have loose skin because they had gastric bypass and lost over 150 pounds in a year; 2) people who are still 50 pounds overweight even though they have lost 50-100 pounds, give up on losing anymore weight, and call the flab they have left over "loose skin" as an excuse to stop dieting.

About 5% of what is left are tiny amounts of wrinkled, soft skin on thin people who lost a fair amount of weight without gastric bypass. If you get down to a healthy weight and healthy fat percentage without bypass surgery, that is likely what you will end up with. No big flaps or overhangs.

1. I never had gastric bypass
    2. I am not 50 pounds overweight
    3. No. Loose skin is not a myth

Get over yourself. Some people need it done. Stop putting down someone who may need it done.

One of many assanizing posts I've seen on here. People think just because it never happened to them it cannot happen to anyone else. Self entitled folks who aren't experts but pretend to be is a little pet peeve
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I would just see how you feel when you get to goal. Cross that bridge when you get to it, you know? I'm hoping for good results for you. Good luck! I myself would be all for it if needed.
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of saving money for it. If you get to your maintenance weight and you don't need surgery... Look at all the money you have saved up!
  • minime0424
    minime0424 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    It's really mostly dependent on your age, merely because the younger you are the more likely your skin is to snap mostly back into place. It also depends on how much you are doing toning exercise while trying to lose weight, I go back and forth between cardio and toning exercise's to try and help some of my stretched skin.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I hate the excess skin I have, especially my arms, and my knees look like a Shar-Pei's. But what I hate even more is the idea of laying in bed to recover for months at a time (if you have your legs done), or not being able to move my arms for weeks, etc. I couldn't stand the idea of taking that much time off from working out, and I can't afford to take that much time off from work, or the surgery itself for that matter.