Using mfp while breastfeeding

Hello all. My son is now 7 weeks and he eats a LOT. He's gaining weight well so I'm not worried about my milk supply.

Right now I put my settings to "maintain" my weight, even though I would like to lose. Will this give me enough of a calorie deficit or too much?

Anyone else out there done this?

Replies

• KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    This is my fourth pregnancy using MFP. I am also nursing (2- a 3 yo 2 times a day and a 9 month old on demand). Kellymom.com advises 1500-1800 cal minimum intake for dieting mothers. I find getting to low (1500) can mess with supply if I have been running. Otherwise, I have not had an issue setting at that and slowly returning to pre pregnancy weight or less depending on where I need to be.
  • mrsjessgonzalez
    mrsjessgonzalez Posts: 2 Member
    Hello mama!! I'm nursing a 11 month old exclusively, I have been steadily losing weight and have passed my pre pregnancy weight, I find as long as I'm drinking a lot and eating healthy foods it does not affect my supply whatsoever.
    :blush: currently my calorie intake is at 1400.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    I think it can be pretty hard to know how many calories you're outputting through breast milk, but if your son is gaining weight, then you should be losing if you eat at maintenance. Obviously that depends on how accurate the maintenance calories are, which is always the rub. Keep weighing yourself for a few weeks and see if you lose - that's the only absolute guide to whether you're eating the right amount or not.
  • 12Sarah2015
    12Sarah2015 Posts: 1,117 Member
    There's a group fit fabulous postpartum you can join