1200 Calories, Diabetic Diet and not eating all my calories and starving

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    pebble4321 wrote: »
    When my husband was diagnosed as diabetic they told him to go with wholegrains in moderation, more veggies than fruit, lean meat, fish etc. My understanding is that pairing your carbs with fibre is a good thing, but I'm not an expert here.
    You really need to seek advice that is specific to you, I suggest you ask your doctor for a referral to a dietician who can help you with foods and meal planning to suit your needs.

you do realize that veggies and whole grains are carbs and they have fiber in them? so I dont get what you mean by pairing carbs with fiber? I have heard that if you eat carbs to make sure you have enough protein and fat with it. is that what you mean?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I'm pre-diabetic as well, Since diabetes originates in the skeletal muscle of our legs the best strategy to take is to build as much skeletal muscle as you can. I lost a dear loved one from diabetes complications and l am fighting to change my unhealthy lifestyle. I'm female and train to gain strength and am seeing the results of my hard work. The Diabetic dermopathy on my shins is slowly disappearing.

Eat foods to gain muscle mass to support your training and you will see magnificent results; surprisingly you can actually eat more food and the more muscle that l build, the more insulin sensitive l become. I wish you the best

where do you get your info?
  • ofcsfoster36
    ofcsfoster36 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Diabetes starts in the pancreas which is the part of the body that produces insulin. Type two diabetics get the disease because there body stops being able to process the insulin in the blood stream. Insulin is what turns sugar to energy. The reason why it is linked to obesity is fat causing the cells in your body to lose some of there ability to absorb insulin. Type 1 is your body doesn't produce enough insulin.

The reason activity helps is it make your absorb more. Also when you lose the fat the cells are then able to start better absorbing the insulin.

Always talk with your dr. There is no way to cut all sugar from your diet. You wouldn't be able to function. You just have to make your body work the way it is designed to. That's what the pills and insulin shots do. I am trying to make mine go back to doing it naturally.
  • elfenliedlucy
    elfenliedlucy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    When I was diagnosed type 2 last February, the first thing my doctor did was give me a referral to a nutritionist. Your body needs a variety of food because you need nutrients from many different things. I will tell you what's working for me (which may not work for anyone else). I've adopted a pescatarian diet. I eat mostly veggies but will indulge in seafood every now and then. I've also dropped over 70 lbs. and my last a1c was 5.5%. I've gone from taking 2 metformin a day to just one and most days I don't even have to take one because my sugar remains low. My morning reading yesterday was 77 and today 81. Where I used to have morning readings of 110, 120 or higher, I'm now in the lower 70's and upper 80's. Evening readings stay in the low 80's.

So my two cents, please find a nutritionist so that you can work out a good meal plan. In the meantime, do a google search for eatthismuch. You can tell the site how many calories you want to eat and it will automatically give you suggestions.
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    When my husband was diagnosed as diabetic they told him to go with wholegrains in moderation, more veggies than fruit, lean meat, fish etc. My understanding is that pairing your carbs with fibre is a good thing, but I'm not an expert here.
    You really need to seek advice that is specific to you, I suggest you ask your doctor for a referral to a dietician who can help you with foods and meal planning to suit your needs.

you do realize that veggies and whole grains are carbs and they have fiber in them? so I dont get what you mean by pairing carbs with fiber? I have heard that if you eat carbs to make sure you have enough protein and fat with it. is that what you mean?

I think what she might mean is that higher fiber foods are better, such as whole wheat bread, because you can subtract 1 gram of carb for 1 gram of fiber in the food. So if a food has 40 carbs, and 18 grams of fiber, you net 22 carbs, which is better, and can help keep you within your carb allotment for the meal. Some foods actually end up being only 1 or 2 carbs once the fiber is figured in.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    mom22dogs wrote: »

I think what she might mean is that higher fiber foods are better, such as whole wheat bread, because you can subtract 1 gram of carb for 1 gram of fiber in the food. So if a food has 40 carbs, and 18 grams of fiber, you net 22 carbs, which is better, and can help keep you within your carb allotment for the meal. Some foods actually end up being only 1 or 2 carbs once the fiber is figured in.

yeah I get that part. but some people dont know carbs are a type of sugar. not saying this is the issue. just stating for those who may not know
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I am type 2 diabetic and was diagnosed very young like 16 or 17. I was told to be more active I didn't do that I was a know it all teen with other medical issues as well... I'm now much older and trying to get everything under control. The best thing I did was ask for a referral to a dietician. I know weigh everything I eat liquid or solid. I do no less than 30 minutes of cardio a day plus strength training. In January my A1c was 7.9 Tuesday it was 6.2. I now eat lean cuts of meat, chicken, and fresh fish and whole grain pasta and breads if I am in the mood for pasta or bread. I also avoid processed foods as much as possible as well as canned things. I eat fresh fruit and veggies and enjoy hummus or guacamole with my carrots and the like instead of half a bottle of ranch. I wasn't told to avoid fruit i was told to eat the correct portion size. The dietician was so helpful and I can't wait to see where I will be in a few more months!!! Good luck to you!
  • erickalynch19
    erickalynch19 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My friend is an diabetic one of the biggest problems she is having is cutting out to much carbs which makes her feel tired and weak on top of high blood sugar, but mostly tired. I had to tell her that her carbs have to stay above 150 or she won't be able to Function right. She also still drinks soda ( Pepsi Max) and that mess with her sugar levels beside the fact she finds any Excuse to not be active. I suggest asking your doctor what you can do to keep your blood sugar down , be more active, oh and find those diabetics cook books to help you find good Recipes. I have some and have some favorite recipes in them.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    My friend is an diabetic one of the biggest problems she is having is cutting out to much carbs which makes her feel tired and weak on top of high blood sugar, but mostly tired. I had to tell her that her carbs have to stay above 150 or she won't be able to Function right. She also still drinks soda ( Pepsi Max) and that mess with her sugar levels beside the fact she finds any Excuse to not be active. I suggest asking your doctor what you can do to keep your blood sugar down , be more active, oh and find those diabetics cook books to help you find good Recipes. I have some and have some favorite recipes in them.

not everyone needs 150g of carbs or more a day to function right. lots of people with diabetes do low carb/keto and have no issues with being able to function. in fact a lot of diabetics find keto helps with their insulin and so on. and keto is 50g of net carbs a day.150g of carbs for some diabetics may be too many carbs,while others may get away with eating more carbs than 150g. it depends on the person.if she is tired she may have low vitamin D,have anemia, or it could be something else entirely, also when you first cut carbs down low,some people do experience fatigue and tiredness,it usually goes away after a few days. those who do keto some get whats called keto flu(not real flu but feels like it). she needs to talk to her Dr and see a dietitian and work with them to get things right. exercise may also help her to feel better but if she doesnt want to do it,theres nothing you can do.
  • Weightwatcher6314
    Weightwatcher6314 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you might be over reacting to the diagnosis. I am diabetic and have never taken a medication for it, i control it thru diet and exercise. You do need carbs, just opt for healthy ones, not sugar or refined, whole grains are good, white rice is bad. White bread will kill you! Exercise is key, you need to move to burn the carbs you take in. I eat Ezekiel bread, freezer section, healthiest bread i know of, is sprouted grains, not flour. Eat one slice open face sandwiches, strawberries and blueberries are good, low carb fruits......I eat gobs of apples, good with a protien cutter like peanut butter. Have your doctor refer you to a diabetic class, your insurance may pay for it, educate yourself. Bottom line, move your body and eat as clean as you can. Good luck.
  • sandrafondren
    sandrafondren Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Y'all all rock! Thank you so much for the supportive words and info. This week has been MUCH better. I don't feel hungry all the time. I've seen my dietitian and she has given me a lot of info. I feel supercharged. Thank you all again.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I am so glad to hear you are feeling better, and empowered. Knowledge is power.
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just for clarification Type 1 Diabetics do not produce any insulin at all once they are through their "honeymoon" stage. It is considered an auto immune disorder. It also can be diagnosed at age, not just in kiddos.

Glad this week has been better for you. Does your Dietician often work with Pre-diabetic/Type 2 Clients?