Exercise for disabled?

Options
I had a car accident a few years ago, and I have chronic problems with my shoulders, back, and neck. I have been told that I have an old injury to my back, and I have had surgery on my shoulder. I cannot do any exercise where I have to lay on my back. I also have some bad days where I can't do a lot of movement with my back or shoulder.

I don't have access to a swimming pool which was recommended by my doctor. I don't have money for a gym or a trainer. I need to lose some weight for health reasons. What kind of exercises would you recommend? Cardio or Strength or both?

Replies

• ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I had a car accident a few years ago, and I have chronic problems with my shoulders, back, and neck. I have been told that I have an old injury to my back, and I have had surgery on my shoulder. I cannot do any exercise where I have to lay on my back. I also have some bad days where I can't do a lot of movement with my back or shoulder.

I don't have access to a swimming pool which was recommended by my doctor. I don't have money for a gym or a trainer. I need to lose some weight for health reasons. What kind of exercises would you recommend? Cardio or Strength or both?

first, get cleared by your doc to start some form of resistance training. work on your mobility...you cant exercise if you cant move your body with a full range of motion. get a resistance band and work on flexibility in your shoulders. there are a lot of stretches you can do that will help loosen up your joints. once you can move without pain then consider doing body weight exercises (pushups, pull ups..etc).
  • edeubanks
    edeubanks Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi— good for you for determining to start exercising, even in light of your challenges.

Most cardio exercises are also good for building strength, so if you can only do one then cardio might be a good frequent choice. If you can ride a bike, that may be a great option for you, especially if you can get a recumbent bike (though they are pricey, and you may find that investing that kind of money in a gym membership would be a better short-term choice). You can find a good, upright - positioned bike which would be good for your back (think of something that looks kind of like a mountain bike, but with a more comfortable seat and even more upright posture).

If you can’t do a bike, simple walking may be an option, depending on your ability. Or another option would be yoga, which would be good for cardio and strength training, and would also help (eventually) with range of motion. It can be difficult at first, though.

As for weights, if there are parts of your body where specific strengthening would benefit, you can and should focus on those.

If you find that even these are too much to start with, perhaps a simple stretching routine would be a good way to start. Even stretching on a regular basis builds strength and flexibility.

Your doctor or Physical Therapist should be able and willing to “prescribe” a set of exercises for you that would be the most benefit.

I have a disease (Ankylosing Spondylitis) that limits my abilities, too, but I’m also benefitted greatly by certain exercises. I do weights 1-2 times a week, and ride my bike (or a stationary bike) 2-3 times a week. All of the exercises I do are ones that my PT showed me to do.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Is there a YMCA in your neck of the woods? I don't know if this is across the board but I know of some that will do membership on a sliding fee scale.
  • sunny747
    sunny747 Posts: 8
    Options
    My doctor has not put any restrictions. They only told me to do what doesn't cause me pain. I don't have the funds to buy any equipment, and I live in a rural area where it's difficult to get to the nearest YMCA. I can't do push ups on the floor, but the physical therapist I used to see taught me to do some wall type of push ups that will be okay for my shoulder. I have had problems with the bike when I was at physical therapy, but I really enjoyed walking on a treadmill. My daughter loves when we play Just Dance, although I can't last too long. I was going to pick up some resistance bands and some small weights, but I am just not sure what to do for cardio. If I just walk - how much, how long, what works?