Increase calories???

Options
My weight is at 132. I am where I want to be, but I am still at 29% body fat. I am doing daily workouts and strength training. I am at 1500 calories a day. Do I need to increase calories and just keep on with my cardio and strength training to decrease my body fat?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring your body fat?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    and how tall are you?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a progressive resistance program (I'm not sure what you're doing for strength training) and eating at maintenance or a slight deficit.

This is a good read for you:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10177803/recomposition-maintaining-weight-while-losing-fat/p1
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You would need to eat at a deficit, small deficit would be preferably (250 cals/week), this would lead to weight loss. could do maintenance for a recomp as well, but will be slower process. In either scenario you would want to take part in a progressive lifting program (just lifting may not be enough), and get adequate protein intake, about 1 gram per lb of lean body mass as a minimum. at 132 at 29% that would be 94 grams protein.
  • BamaRunningGirl
    BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    and how tall are you?
    5"3
  • BamaRunningGirl
    BamaRunningGirl Posts: 70 Member
    Options

I have a withings scale that measures the body fat also. Haven't had it long, so not sure how accurate it is.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

I have a withings scale that measures the body fat also. Haven't had it long, so not sure how accurate it is.

Mine is definitely not accurate. My BF has gone up 2% in the last week, but I lost 2lbs during that time. Sincerely doubt I lost it all in muscle while strength training...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Typically, scales are not an accurate way to measure body fat.