My body has decided to maintain at 110, but I'm not happy...

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Background: I am a 24 year old female, only 5ft. At my highest I weighed 150 lbs. I am now 110 and I feel like this is where my body wants to be. I was at 100 back in November, but it was difficult for me to stay there without dieting.

I don't hate my body, but I am not completely happy with it. I would like to lose 5-10 lbs but don't know how to go about it. I am currently eating 1800 calories. 3 weeks ago, I joined the gym and have been going at least 4 times a week. I don't focus on cardio. I do strength exercises involving kettle bells, barbells, lunges, squats, planks... I fluctuate at 109 and 110. I thought I could lose these last 10 lbs just through exercise or at least see a difference: a slimmer waist, toned arms and legs. Should I lower my calories? How low should I go? Any other suggestions?

Before at 100:
    Waist: 26
    Hips: 35

Now at 110:
    Waist: 26
    Hips: 36

I'm actually not upset that my hips increased... But I would like my waist to decrease. :s

One thing to add, that I didn't see so far (but only skimmed the thread, I admit):

If you significantly ramped up your strength training just 3 weeks ago, you may yet see an impact on your scale weight . . . but, especially if you feel some sore or "worked out feeling" muscles, you're probably holding onto a little extra water weight for muscle repair. If you are, that can mask fat loss temporarily, until the fat loss outpaces the water gain. Just keep up the good work, hydrate well, and give it some more time.

I had to take a weight training break due to some physical issues, after lifting steadily for a few months, and saw at least a 2-pound drop that wasn't accounted for by calories, so at least a bit of the "temporary" water weight gain can be long-term (IMO) as long as the muscle repair is ongoing.
  • Missatomicbombx
    Missatomicbombx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Too little at 40. I'm eating closer to 70-80 g of fat. :s

I definitely feel sore for days after I do my Monday and Thursday routine. I think it's just harder now that progress is so slow. Especially having to go by body changes instead of the scale... I need to learn patience. :(
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options

I definitely feel sore for days after I do my Monday and Thursday routine. I think it's just harder now that progress is so slow. Especially having to go by body changes instead of the scale... I need to learn patience. :(

Nothing wrong with higher fat.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options

Lots of people do Low Carb, High Fat (LCHF). Which is why I said do what makes you feel full and fueled.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    LaurenAOK wrote: »
    I'm going to echo what everyone else has said, heavy lifting. Heavy means heavy for you - I noticed you said you squat with 50 lbs, and that's a great start! Look into Stronglifts 5x5 or some of the programs on Bodybuilding.com. I just finished a lifting program called Crush60 and saw awesome results, another option you could check out.

When I got serious about lifting I saw all my measurements go down (particularly waist) even though I didn't lose a single pound. With your weight, height, and goals, I think that's the way to go for you.

I myself have found my purchase of fractional plates really helpful for Stronglifts. I can increase the weight slower on certain lifts, which sometimes is the only way it feels possible. So even though they're pricey, if you LIKE Stronglifts, I'd recommend getting a set of fractional plates.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    I'm going to echo what everyone else has said, heavy lifting. Heavy means heavy for you - I noticed you said you squat with 50 lbs, and that's a great start! Look into Stronglifts 5x5 or some of the programs on Bodybuilding.com. I just finished a lifting program called Crush60 and saw awesome results, another option you could check out.

When I got serious about lifting I saw all my measurements go down (particularly waist) even though I didn't lose a single pound. With your weight, height, and goals, I think that's the way to go for you.

I myself have found my purchase of fractional plates really helpful for Stronglifts. I can increase the weight slower on certain lifts, which sometimes is the only way it feels possible. So even though they're pricey, if you LIKE Stronglifts, I'd recommend getting a set of fractional plates.

I did this, too, when I started stalling out. I could not make the jump from 125 lb bench press to 130, or 75 lb OHP to 80. Fractional plates helped me there. You probably don't need them right away, but may eventually.

I got these.

https://www.amazon.com/CFF-Competition-Rubber-Fractional-Weight/dp/B0158QP2EY/ref=sr_1_6?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1466108196&sr=1-6&keywords=fractional+plates
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

I did this, too, when I started stalling out. I could not make the jump from 125 lb bench press to 130, or 75 lb OHP to 80. Fractional plates helped me there. You probably don't need them right away, but may eventually.

I got these.

https://www.amazon.com/CFF-Competition-Rubber-Fractional-Weight/dp/B0158QP2EY/ref=sr_1_6?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1466108196&sr=1-6&keywords=fractional+plates

Hahahah I needed them for OHP starting at 50 lb, and use them for bench at 65 lbs as well!

See, OP, different for everyone :)

I use these ones, but they clink a lot when lifting so they were attention grabbing in the gym. I would have preferred rubber coated, but all my weights are not... because I was attempting to cut cost a bit.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mesha-Fitness-Olympic-Fractional-Plates/dp/B0179B4LLQ/ref=sr_1_25?s=sports-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1466108602&sr=1-25&keywords=fractional+plates
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    A couple notes here...I got my body fat done (15-point calipers by an experienced trainer) both post weight lifting and then again the next day with much better/lower results. It was VERY off after working out. He explained the muscles have glycogen pump for hours after training. So that's one thing I want to point out.

Secondly, for me, when I was 100 pounds vs when I was 110 pounds (now)...I look much better now, even 10 years later, with muscle, then I ever did as a skinny 100 pounds. Yeah, my stomach is an inch bigger around, but I have defined muscles and low fat, thus it still looks as narrow as it was. My legs are more defined and my cellulite is mostly gone, though my legs measure an inch bigger. My trainer doesn't even do tape measuring, because he says it doesn't matter when you get to this point. The only thing matters is how you look (and feel) in the mirror and in clothes.

So I will repeat what others have said, keep lifting heavy, keep pushing yourself, you can't squat more than 50 pounds now, but I bet if you keep at it, then try 60 pounds in a couple of weeks, you will be able to!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You are not losing weight at 1800? How 'bout cutting to 1300?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yeah I couldn't tell if you are trying to lose at 1800 or what. I mean, I'm 5'4" and 138-140 lbs and 1800 is about maintenance for me.
  • Missatomicbombx
    Missatomicbombx Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to lose weight at 1800, I've been maintaining at this weight, but I would like my body to change... I know to lose weight you have to eat at deficit. That's how I lost the 40, but I want to slim down without restricting calories. Thank you for all your suggestions, if by the end of the month I see no difference then I will consider lowering my calories to 1,500 and changing from HF/LC to more HC/LF. High fat is not working for me right now anyway, I'm always hungry and craving sugar. I have a lot of stress too, college, a break up, financial... :'( I'm also on birth control, which might also play a role. I've made the decision to get off it. Hopefully, I'll see changes soon!
  • jinny1313
    jinny1313 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat as you! Holding at 109-112 and trying to figure out what my next steps should be. I shouldn't lose too much more weight given my body structure so I've turned my goals into body fat percentage and inches instead of pounds. It's a better judge of fitness when you get to weights like ours. Advice on food, try mixing up your daily intake over the course of the week where some days are 1200 calories and others are 1800. Within that, change up the high protein days with more fruits/veggies so that your body can benefit and doesn't become used to the same things day after day. Another thing I just started has been infusing water with various mixtures like lemon lime and cucumber or cinnamon and apple with honey. They all have different benefits and can keep water from being boring :). I'm still working on figuring out this plan for myself so add me as a friend and we can keep up with any new ideas!