Advice to get over weight loss plateau?

Options
I am a diabetic. I am almost 69 years old and I am 5'5" tall. When I started this journey l year ago, my weight was 233 lbs., my A1c was 13.7. Today, my weight is 182 and my A1c is 5.4. Blood sugars are under control. I want to lose another 25 lbs. I have not lost any weight for about 2 months now. I walk around 2-3 miles a day. Any advice to get the weight loss going again?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    How many calories are you eating and how are you measuring them?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    How many calories are you eating and how are you measuring them?

Also, have you adjusted your calorie goal since you've lost the weight. As we lose weight, we need less calories so you should be adjusting periodically as you lose.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress so far! That's impressive! Without more info, I cannot guess what you might need to switch up, so I'm just going to share The Chart.

k80olpjwp5py.jpg
  • KetoTeacher
    KetoTeacher Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your progress ;)
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,654 Member
    Options
    Well, those were gonna be my two pieces of advice so I got nothin'. :)

Good work on the weight loss and lowering of A1c tho!
  • grammyjudis
    grammyjudis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I started I was eating 15-1600 calories a day. Now it is at 1100-1200 calories per day. I record everything on My Fitness Pal and use the nutritional values assigned there. I watch my portion sizes.
  • glassyo
    Options
    Buy a food scale (if you don't already have one) and log by the gram. Don't completely trust mfp's database.
  • grammyjudis
    Options
    Thank you all. I see my doctor every 3 months and she is happy with my progress. Maybe I am being too impatient, but it seems like I should have lost something in the last 2 months. I don't really want to go much lower on my calorie intake. Any suggestions for a certain type of diet plan I should try? My doctor just says, eat less, move more and watch portion sizes.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    When I started I was eating 15-1600 calories a day. Now it is at 1100-1200 calories per day. I record everything on My Fitness Pal and use the nutritional values assigned there. I watch my portion sizes.

When you say you watch your portion sizes, are you weighing or measuring them? More than likely you're eating more than you think.
  • grammyjudis
    Options
    Yes, I am very mindful of how big my portions are. I weigh/measure whenever possible. It is not always possible to weigh/measure but I do my best. I am still losing inches just not lbs.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,912 Member
    Options
    You've made such amazing progress, both on weight and your A1C. Kudos!

What kind of exercise are you doing? Anything beyond the walking? I know that some women our age are not interested in (or are even fearful of) weight lifting, but any kind of exercise that builds strength/muscle likely will (slowly, over time) increase your metabolism.

Also, take a look at your macros and micros. Are you getting plenty of protein, especially? It takes (a tiny number of) extra calories to metabolize protein as compared with carbs/fats. My opinion is, take any tiny advantage you can get! This is something that people on MFP have religious wars about, but personally I try for at minimum 0.6-0.8g of protein daily for each pound of a (reasonable) goal weight, and did so throughout weight loss.

There are some indications (research) that getting plenty of fruits & veggies and similar whole foods may also require just a tiny number extra of calories to digest. Also, they're delicious and filling!

You're now around the weight I was when I started losing (183 pounds, on 4/17/15). I'm also 5/5", and 60 y/o. I'm not diabetic, but am hypothyroid (controlled with meds). Starting about 3 months ago, I've been working on maintaining at 120 pounds (plus or minus 3) - this is right for me, based on body configuration. I try to get at least 100g of protein every day (I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian), and at least 9 servings (about 720g) of whole fruit & vegetables as many days as possible. I'm on the muscular side for a woman our age, and pretty active (I'm a rower). I eat 1800 calories most days (net, i.e., I eat back exercise, too), which allows for some much heavier-eating days once a week or so. Right now, I think my actual maintenance calories are around 2100/day (net). Most days I exercise & eat 200-400 more calories on top of my base calories).

Just my opinions . . . .

Hope you find a strategy that works for you!
  • glassyo
    Options
    Yes, I am very mindful of how big my portions are. I weigh/measure whenever possible. It is not always possible to weigh/measure but I do my best. I am still losing inches just not lbs.

3c1j6uzkoq1b.gif

The way your clothes fit is more important than the number on the scale.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Water weight can mask losses on the scale big time. If you're still losing inches, I wouldn't worry too much.