Family support

Options
I have been on a weight loss journey for 2 months and have only lost 3 pounds. I have been hampered by bone spurs in my foot. And battling depression. How can I keep myself motivated. Also limited family support.

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    Three pounds is better than nothing and certainly better than gaining! I'm sorry about the depression. Hope you have help dealing with that.

Keep things simple: figure your daily calorie goal, plan your meals and just stick with it. Every day you do this will be a day of forward progress. You will start to feel better, I'm sure. Family support is nice, but not needed. Many of us don't have it. This is a personal change and we need to take care of ourselves. We are the only ones who can.

Good luck and keep in touch with people via the forums here. Lots of help and good information.
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Febsky363 wrote: »
    I have been on a weight loss journey for 2 months and have only lost 3 pounds. I have been hampered by bone spurs in my foot. And battling depression. How can I keep myself motivated. Also limited family support.

Aww. I can't imagine how difficult this must be for you but I think it's awesome that you have taken this step in your journey! :) I hope that you keep working toward your goals. Im sorry that I don't have any great motivational advice as that is my downfall but I'm rooting for ya! :)
  • Febsky363
    Febsky363 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the words of encouragement. And I will I even used my elliptical machine. I was proud of myself did 2 minutes non-stop. Not bad for a 53 yr who could even make a minute 2 months ago.
  • hrod215
    hrod215 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    The fact that you are making an effort to help yourself speaks volumes. Any progress is progress and as one of the other posters said anything is better than gaining (just remember that you may go up and down due to normal weight fluctuations) so don't get discouraged. As for the family support, it's nice when you get that support but some people don't always know how to do this especially if it's something they don't understand, so doing nothing is what usually happens. Don't let it derail you. I'm the only one at home trying to get to a goal. My husband will order out or pick up fast food and it's only fair because this is my journey not his so I just always research what is the healthiest thing on that particular menu that I can have and still enjoy it with my family. You make do with what you have. I eat rice and beans cuz he'll in Spanish and it's a staple but I'll grill my meats if everyone else wants fried. You don't need anyone else's approval girlfriend, you do it for you!
  • Febsky363
    Febsky363 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank you. My family likes to eat out so I have mastered ordering lighter meals. Still have to master not getting offended when I treat myself to ice cream and hear" thought you were on a diet" but will take you advice to heart and do it for me.