Avocados

Options
Sweets1954
Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
I love avocado, especially on toast in the morning. The problem is I am the only one in my household that will eat it. Does anyone have a good way to keep avocado from turning black? I have tried dousing the cut side with lemon juice and Stay Fresh, covering it with plastic directly on the surface but nothing seems to keep it fresh looking.

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Airtight freezer bags help me out but only for 24 hours, give or take. If I have some leftover salsa I tend to just make myself a mini-serving of guacamole because it lasts longer!!
  • Sweets1954
    Options
    I have even tried mashing it up with lemon juice, salt, and pepper but that doesn't last long either. I really don't want to eat half an avocado at a sitting!
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    When you cut your avocado in half, leave the pit on the half of the avocado (and do not take it out until you eat it)and put in a plastic Baggie in the fridge.
    >>> Eat the side without the pit first <<<

The side w the pit should last a day or two with the pit in it, it may discolor a bit but not as bad.

I do this weekly. (Oh but I eat a half of avocado in one sitting)

Thank you for this. I do still have the same issues as the OP. And like you, I'm all about half the avocado!
  • louisepaul16
    louisepaul16 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You can freeze it.
  • michelleepotter
    michelleepotter Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I would point out that the discoloration is nothing but ugly. It's still perfectly good to eat, and tastes just the same. My husband found a really good recipe for chicken salad that is made with avocado and Greek yogurt. It's so good! But he made enough for three days, and I didn't eat it right away, and it turned brown. It looked disgusting, but still tasted perfectly fine. (And it's only brown on the outside. If you take a spoon and dig in, it's still green underneath!) Although, if I knew a way to keep it from turning brown, I would share. ;)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Put the avocado in an airtight bag and put a vitC tablet in with it. Don't know why it works, but it does.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Keep the pit! It works if you leave it in one of the halves (as mentioned before) or in the airtight container of guacamole.
  • liftingandlipstick
    liftingandlipstick Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I used to spray the surface with Pam (or similar low cal cooking oil spray) and it worked better than lemon juice. But I eat avocado pretty much daily, so it got to be a pain. Now I just put the cut half in a zip top bag in the fridge. The very top layer browns a bit, but it doesn't affect the taste or texture. It lasts perfectly fine for the 3-4 days max that it will be in there.
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    i pre mash my avocados and then you put water over it in the bowl. It doesnt soak the water and u just pour it right off. Its deprived of oxygen so no brown. Did this in many of the restaurants i cooked at for guac and avocado stuff.
    Genius!
  • susansavage884
    susansavage884 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i pre mash my avocados and then you put water over it in the bowl. It doesnt soak the water and u just pour it right off. Its deprived of oxygen so no brown. Did this in many of the restaurants i cooked at for guac and avocado stuff.

Interesting. Must try.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    When I slice a whole avocado in half, I take out the seed and then I place the uneaten avocado on a small plate. With the cut side of the avocado against the plate, no chance of being exposed to air and avocado remains fresh looking.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    When you cut your avocado in half, leave the pit on the half of the avocado (and do not take it out until you eat it)and put in a plastic Baggie in the fridge.
    >>> Eat the side without the pit first <<<

The side w the pit should last a day or two with the pit in it, it may discolor a bit but not as bad.

I do this weekly. (Oh but I eat a half of avocado in one sitting)

This
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Sooo- theoretically, could I leave the half intact, remove the pit and just place it cut side down in an airtight container with a little bit of water at the bottom?
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I usually just slice off any browning anyway. It doesn't bother me. But I'm always down for a food experiment! Maybe if the container is the right size and keeps the avocado pushed down.
  • Sweets1954
    Options
    I will have to try the water trick. I have left the pit in half but it still discolors. I realize that it doesn't affect the taste but sight is just as important to me as taste and texture--you eat with your eyes! I love avocado toast but the discoloration of the avocado had kind of turned me off.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    In the fridge one avocado can last me 2-3 days after cutting it. Just because it turns a little brown doesn't mean it is completely bad. But they do go bad fast!