Trying to improve my 5k time

Options
2»

Replies

• bladebiker
    bladebiker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I managed to get my 5km down to
    Under 20 mins by doing a number of things, I started put the versa climber into my gym routine and literally smashed a thousand feet in the quickest time possible three times per week, I upped my core exercises and ab workouts.
    Another one that is really beneficial is hill work, got it from my military days, find a short but steep hill or an embankment, if you are running in a pair do the hill alternately so you can bring your breathing down whilst waiting and then sprint like there's no tomorrow up the embankment, whist you are waiting for the other person do some other exercise but keep moving.
    Best time I've managed is three miles in 18:22, I mentally prepared myself a day just focusing on the time I wanted, before hand I knocked back a double espresso and a glug of water, waited ten minutes and went for it, might not work for everyone but it made a huge difference, good luck
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Volume is key here. Just run more. If you are running 20 miles a week, up it to 25 or so, for example. Not necessarily faster, although some fartlek-style speed work can help.
  • swalte2016
    swalte2016 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    Volume is key here. Just run more. If you are running 20 miles a week, up it to 25 or so, for example. Not necessarily faster, although some fartlek-style speed work can help.

Yeah I enjoy doing fartlek runs every once and a while .i just have to go out there And do it (: .thanks for the advice