Not getting enough calories

Options
I am having trouble reaching my 1200 cal/day goal. I eat whenever I am hungry and I still end up with a 500-600 calorie deficit. I've only noticed this a couple weeks ago because that is when I started logging my food and exercise onto this site. Is it okay to have this deficit or is it unhealthy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    unhealthy..

especially if exercising

you need to get your caloric intake up.

How much do you weight now? A super easy (although not entirely accurate) way to estimate caloric needs is to multiply your weight by 10. Or multiply your weight in KG by 20. (you will get 2 different answers with these 2 methods... the second one is lower)

if you're not hungry there are way to create hunger.. I started where you are.. i had to drink my breakfast to add calories to my diet. milk blended with fruits, or protein powder or yogurt and PB or whatever you like in a shake. There are tons of recipes out there.. some high calorie some low calorie. I aimed for low fat high protein. some of them have a lot of calories, others do not.

I also brought apples and some PB to work and snacked on that.. bought baby carrots and those snacking peppers and snacking cucumbers to work. Really helped me increase my intake.

take baby steps.. baby steps lead to good results

and NEVER GIVE UP!
  • zytah
    zytah Posts: 153
    Options

How much do you weight now? A super easy (although not entirely accurate) way to estimate caloric needs is to multiply your weight by 10. Or multiply your weight in KG by 20. (you will get 2 different answers with these 2 methods... the second one is lower)

huh... thats an interesting way to gauge calories. i suppose its a good way to start tho since my mfp number fall between these methods.
  • krista0626
    krista0626 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    unhealthy..

especially if exercising

you need to get your caloric intake up.

if you're not hungry there are way to create hunger.. I started where you are.. i had to drink my breakfast to add calories to my diet. milk blended with fruits, or protein powder or yogurt and PB or whatever you like in a shake. There are tons of recipes out there.. some high calorie some low calorie. I aimed for low fat high protein. some of them have a lot of calories, others do not.

I also brought apples and some PB to work and snacked on that.. bought baby carrots and those snacking peppers and snacking cucumbers to work. Really helped me increase my intake.

take baby steps.. baby steps lead to good results

and NEVER GIVE UP!

I currently weigh 190lbs. So that would be 1900! That sounds like a crazy amount of calories to me, haha. Thank you for the ideas. I think I'm going to go shopping tomorrow and stock up on some healthy snacks.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is the minimum a women is suppose to eat. You can definitely eat more than that and still lose weight, unless you screwed up your metabolism by undereating for an extending period of time. If you undereat, your body will get use to the amount of calories you give it and you will gain weight by hardly eating much. I honestly think 1200 calories is too low for most people, but do not go under that. Lose weight slowly and do not screw up your metabolism by undereating!
  • annakow
    annakow Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I was shocked by the idea I need to eat more to lose weight. I distroyed my metabolism by eating to little and to unhealthy, years or harming myself. I use to look at diets plan and think how on earth you can eat so much?...:) I eat 1610 cal a day now and I am making sure my net calories are correct. Lost 50 lbs in 5 months.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    olive oil, butter, peanut butter, nuts, milk shake, burger, ....do something!!!! Please!!!!!
  • krista0626
    krista0626 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! I'm going to work on getting more calories in with healthy foods. I didn't think it was too big of a deal before but I'll start taking it seriously.