Finally starting to gain a little, Need some guidance

Options
I'm a 52 yr. female. 5'3" and as of today, 105.4 pounds. I'm currently averaging about 1,900 calories per day to help gain weight. I want to gain muscle as I gain weight but have no idea how to go about it. I don't go to the gym nor do I have any exercise equipment. I do have some resistance bands but haven't begun using them because I'm not really sure what to do with them. I hope to strengthen my core muscles as well as arms, legs and butt. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can try a body resistance program or get a gym membership. But you need progressive resistance to break down muscle tissue and force your body to grow.

If you have enough resistance bands, then you might be able to modify a structured program to give you the results you want.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Here is a good basic bodyweight programme that will get you started.

I started doing it at around age 55, 5'1 and 105 lbs, and it took me a good few months before I could complete it.
    As you progress you will need to add complexity to the moves to keep challenging your muscles, but to begin with it is ok to downgrade the moves to suite your capabilities. Make your goal being able to complete the programme as written. That is how I approached it as someone who had never exercised until I was 54.

Cheers, h.
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/