Training for a half marathon by swimming

Options
I've hurt my foot and unfortunately this is my only option. As much advice as possible please!

How often? How much? How should i swim? How to best train. Anything!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Depends when the marathon is and how much actual running you can do before it

but swimming can be complementary training - hitting alternative muscles

http://running.competitor.com/2014/07/training/cross-training-101-swimming-for-runners_82017

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    mbanks123 wrote: »
    How often? How much? How should i swim? How to best train. Anything!

Aqua jogging more than swimming but the key questions really relate to how long you're likely to be unable to run, and when the race is.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    As someone who used to swim competitively, I can say that while both are great cardio workouts, they are very different. I could swim for laps and laps, but struggled to run a mile. Now that I do run I still swim, but when I took a month off from the pool, even though I kept running, when I got back in the water I felt like I would drown. So while this might help you keep your general fitness up while recovering from an injury, I don't know that it would help prep for something like a marathon.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    deep water running may be better training for running. That's what my friends who are competitive runners do when they are injured. You wear a special bouyancy belt and r"Run" on the spot in deep water. Ask at your pool.
  • filovirus76
    filovirus76 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Water running would be better. Water should be just above elbows so arms are submerged. You will feel very awkward when you hit the pavement again, but at least you'll be getting the running motion in.

Swimming will help with overall fitness and endurance. I would do some of that too.