"Secret Eaters" TV show

Options
CattOfTheGarage
CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
edited June 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Just wondered if anyone else likes this show from UK Channel 4. It's a bit trashy but the message is basically sound, and I've actually learned from it.

What they do is they take 2 people - like a couple, brother and sister, 2 friends or whatever - who are overweight and don't understand why. They give it the usual "I eat healthy food, my diet's good, I don't understand why I've put on this weight, I must have a slow metabolism" etc etc, get them to fill in a food diary, and then they rig them with hidden cameras for a few days and then show them what they're really eating. Of course they're shocked etc. Then they put them on a sensible eating plan and revisit them in a few weeks to see how they're doing, and you see that they've lost weight and are healthier.

I like it because although there's some over-dramatisation and what not, there's no pseudoscience, it's all CICO, and they don't put them on a crazy diet. When they revisit the people are generally still overweight but you can see they're lighter than they were and on a good path that is sustainable. They also give some good insights into what makes us more likely to overeat, and demonstrate the principles by running experiments on groups of people to see which group eats more based on plate sizes, food placement and things like that.

If you're in the UK you can find this on the Channel 4 catchup site and app. If not, maybe search YouTube? I don't know if it's on there or not.

Replies

• Projectjustme
    Projectjustme Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I really like this show and it hit home a lot for me - I am definitely a secret eater! There was one episode where a girl had put on 8 stone in 2 years and couldn't figure out why - had to think that there is some self denial.

you can definitely find it on Youtube
  • DaniettaF
    DaniettaF Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I like it, it is a bit daft as you say, but it does make you more aware of your own habits. It also debunks all of those silly rules and exceptions people think are true. For example, I remember one episode where two sisters thought that because they went to the gym they could eat whatever they wanted within a one hour window after they had been, including a whole pile of profiteroles.
  • siobhancollins90
    siobhancollins90 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love Anna Richardson as a presenter! I also love this show, especially when they open the false wall and show them exactly what they have eaten in a week set out on a table. Definitely worth a watch
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I've watched this a few times in the past, finding the fake wall opening up funny.

I've personally never been under any illusions as to what ended up putting the weight on me, so it interests me to see/hear from others who are genuinely surprised and confused, wondering how they piled the weight on. Selective memory? Recall breakfast, but not the meal out you had?

Very curious, no judging.
  • Peregrymj
    Peregrymj Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Fursian wrote: »
    I've watched this a few times in the past, finding the fake wall opening up funny.

I've personally never been under any illusions as to what ended up putting the weight on me, so it interests me to see/hear from others who are genuinely surprised and confused, wondering how they piled the weight on. Selective memory? Recall breakfast, but not the meal out you had?

Selective memory is totally a thing and should be more talked about in the weight loss community. I had a friend who, when I recalled a memory of something we both were present for, she would often have a totally different version of the event than I did. And the more personal investment she had in the event (ie something unsavory a boyfriend did etc) the more her memory would be rewritten to suit the personal narrative she had running in her head. Or maybe it was my memory being rewritten but the point still stands, haha.

Just found this show the other day. It's interesting.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Peregrymj wrote: »

Selective memory is totally a thing and should be more talked about in the weight loss community. I had a friend who, when I recalled a memory of something we both were present for, she would often have a totally different version of the event than I did. And the more personal investment she had in the event (ie something unsavory a boyfriend did etc) the more her memory would be rewritten to suit the personal narrative she had running in her head. Or maybe it was my memory being rewritten but the point still stands, haha.

Just found this show the other day. It's interesting.

This is true! Everyone remembers things slightly differently. Especially if their focus is on something different than another person's focus in the same event.

Also, memory isn't perfect. A lot of things fail to make it to long term memory simply because that information wasn't deemed as "important" as other information by your brain. So many things go into our working memory but few select things actually make it into our long term memory. Even then, the brain will fill in bits and pieces of information that is absent from your long term memory of an event.

You would think that a person would remember eating that extra slice of pie or whatever it was, but I feel like many times, a person is so focused on whatever else they're doing at that point in time that the memory of that extra slice of pie never makes it to long term memory in the first place.

I'm in the US, so I've not seen this show but I'm going to try to look it up online! It sounds interesting!
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've watched old episodes on YouTube. From the title I expected it to be about people sneaking food and then lying about it, but it's not. It's people being surprised by the sheer number of calories they are consuming in their regular diet vs. how few they must consume to lose weight. I like it when they watch the secret footage and talk back to themselves. "Am I going back to the fridge again? No, don't do it!"
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm curious now... Is it that they eat things that have a lot calories? Or really that they eat more in quantity than they think?

I mean, I understand how people can eat some things and not realize that they have a lot of calories (hence the 'I eat nothing but gain weight' issue), but do people really not notice that they go back to the fridge for another snack or had a 2nd slice of pie?

I admit it boggles my mind a little bit. I haven't seen the show, but I saw those videos with one woman tracking her food and underestimating it by 1000 calories or something, and I just didn't really get it.
  • lisarey1977
    lisarey1977 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Lose weight for love on bbc is also good. It's on Iplayer x
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Francl27 wrote: »
    I'm curious now... Is it that they eat things that have a lot calories? Or really that they eat more in quantity than they think?

I mean, I understand how people can eat some things and not realize that they have a lot of calories (hence the 'I eat nothing but gain weight' issue), but do people really not notice that they go back to the fridge for another snack or had a 2nd slice of pie?

I admit it boggles my mind a little bit. I haven't seen the show, but I saw those videos with one woman tracking her food and underestimating it by 1000 calories or something, and I just didn't really get it.

you should go watch it on youtube.

They ask them to write down a diary of what they eat and the calories they think they are eating. They are guesstimating 2 sometimes 3 times less than they are actually eating. Sometimes it's underestimating calories, sometimes them snacking and tasting things while cooking/shopping, sometimes they just forget that they are eating something altogether.

I think the biggest thing for men that i've seen is that some of these guys are drinking 3,000-4,000 calories worth of alcohol.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Apparently. I've only seen one episode too (brother and sister seemed to totally forget about huge dinner at a pub with lots of alcohol, along with many other things) and don't get it either.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options

I'm in the same boat. I never had any question as to why I was overweight. I wonder if that made losing easier for me than for some others?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Denial is a powerful force.

It also seems a lot of people just don't make the connection between QUANTITY of food and weight loss, they think it's all about quality - so if it's "bad" or "fattening" you should NEVER eat ANY of it, and if it's "healthy", " wholesome" or "home made" then you can eat as much as you like. It's the same thing that causes people to accidentally overdose on painkillers, I think - if a little bit is good, more must be better!

Last night I watched an episode of Secret Eaters where a man was eating Special K for breakfast - a QUADRUPLE portion of it, with about half a pint of milk, two tablespoons of jam (!) and a dollop of cream! "Well, it's healthy," he said, "so I thought the more the merrier."

That's the problem for a lot of people. Add the idea that "I deserve a treat", lack of awareness of how many calories are in treat food, and total ignorance of correct portion sizes and you have a recipe for unwitting obesity while believing you're eating "a healthy diet".

Plenty of people on MFP are that way. "I'm eating whole grains, chicken breast, getting my 5 a day, and drinking a gallon of water. How come I'm not losing weight?" Doesn't matter if it's whole grain flax or Wonder bread, eating too much is eating too much.

I can totally see people not remembering what they ate or forgetting entire meals (latter especially with alcohol). Selective memory happens all the time. There are times I don't remember eating something and have to look in the garbage for the empty wrapper.
  • Abby2205
    Abby2205 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Denial is a powerful force.

It also seems a lot of people just don't make the connection between QUANTITY of food and weight loss, they think it's all about quality - so if it's "bad" or "fattening" you should NEVER eat ANY of it, and if it's "healthy", " wholesome" or "home made" then you can eat as much as you like. It's the same thing that causes people to accidentally overdose on painkillers, I think - if a little bit is good, more must be better!

On several episodes, participants seem to believe that jacket (baked) potatoes have powerful weight loss benefits. In one show, a young woman visited her grandmother every day for lunch. The grandmother showed the crew what she asks for: a baked potato covered with baked beans, cheese and I don't know what else. "She says it's healthy", Nana says dubiously.
  • carrieloveshk
    carrieloveshk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    OMG I love trashy UK shows. I'm watching this one now.
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    hahah :D well thank you for getting me hooked! Watched 4 episodes back-to-back!
  • SallyKaPow
    SallyKaPow Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Its a great show! I got the impression though that they ask the participants to log an average week's eating. Then, at a later date, they film them and show them what their average consumption actually is.

The best show was in the first series, when this women claimed that she was some kind of medical miracle and there was no reason why she couldn't lose weight. They showed her what she was actually eating (like half a pot of mayonnaise in one sitting) and the look on her face was priceless, she just totally would not accept that she wasn't eating healthily. Then when they did the follow up show after they'd been on the healthy diet for 2 months or however long it is, she refused to come back on the show.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I will use all my powers of google-fu to find a way to watch this!