Refeed??? Legit???

Options
CorvusCorax77
CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
Just reading on refeeding for heavy lifters- mostly because I was going to joke that I am on a refeed- then I thought maybe it is real? Sooooo- anyone know about this?

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Just reading on refeeding for heavy lifters- mostly because I was going to joke that I am on a refeed- then I thought maybe it is real? Sooooo- anyone know about this?

Yes it's real.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    It's real. A reefed helps the body's metabolism so that weight loss is preempted. I've read those forums (I'm on it right now) and it's basically very similar to a cheat day. A reefed is basically a day where you consume double the amount of carbs you would normally eat on a regular day. For me, this is only once a month and usually I eat close to 300g of carbs and usually you would eat at maintenance.

However, a reefed should only be used when you are on a plateau. On a cheat day, I never eat over 2300 (TDEE is 2760) but everyone is different.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options

Yes it's real.

Way real!
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Yes it's real.

Way real!

To real!
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I refeed once a week. Where have you been? This is old.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

I been busy lifting weights and trying to hit my macros!
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    It's real. A reefed helps the body's metabolism so that weight loss is preempted. I've read those forums (I'm on it right now) and it's basically very similar to a cheat day. A reefed is basically a day where you consume double the amount of carbs you would normally eat on a regular day. For me, this is only once a month and usually I eat close to 300g of carbs and usually you would eat at maintenance.

However, a reefed should only be used when you are on a plateau. On a cheat day, I never eat over 2300 (TDEE is 2760) but everyone is different.

I don't do "cheat days." But I have noticed on days when I say "eff it" and eat what I want, I have seen better weight loss after and I often feel better. I just didn't realize that it was a legit practice (I still don't "get" cheat days/meals either).

Well, now I don't feel bad about today's egregious consumption. I'm sure I was due for a refeed ;)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

I been busy lifting weights and trying to hit my macros!

Well now you can give yourself a break, and boost your leptin levels. :glasses:
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options
    depends on your BF%, goals, diet, training. do you need one? probably not
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. It's new to me.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

How do I know?

My bF is 21%
    My goal is 16% bf
    I eat 1250 + exercise cals
    I lift heavy 4 x's a week (I do 5/3/1) and give myself 330 cals for 60 mins of lifting (no I don't do TDEE)
    I also do some cardio - about 4 x's a week only about 10-15 mins. I also live a pretty active lifestyle- hiking and what not.
    My ORM's are respectable for a woman of my size given my shoulder injury.
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options
    Thanks for the info. It's new to me.

Aha! So I am not alone in this!

I always assumed Side Steel was being funny. The problems created by lack of tone!
  • fishnbrah
    fishnbrah Posts: 550
    Options

How do I know?

My bF is 21%
    My goal is 16% bf
    I lift heavy 4 x's a week (I do 5/3/1) and give myself 330 cals for 60 mins of lifting (no I don't do TDEE)
    I also do some cardio - about 4 x's a week only about 10-15 mins. I also live a pretty active lifestyle- hiking and what not.

you change your avi?

refeeds should be carbs. they say to do one once a week but if you eat enough carbs i dont think you really need one. most people try to use it as an excuse to splurge then they end up just setting themselves back. i just started cutting again, i wont do any planned refeeds. occasionally ill eat higher carbs but not precisely planned once a week like lots of people do
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

How do I know?

My bF is 21%
    My goal is 16% bf

you change your avi?

refeeds should be carbs. they say to do one once a week but if you eat enough carbs i dont think you really need one. most people try to use it as an excuse to splurge then they end up just setting themselves back. i just started cutting again, i wont do any planned refeeds. occasionally ill eat higher carbs but not precisely planned once a week like lots of people do

My stupid app on my iPhone sometime automatically does a bunch of avi changes that I tried weeks ago to no avail- I went there to look at what I have been eating and lost my last pic - so yeah avi change.

I think generally I eat higher carb than I should- I am a vegetarian and I think macros are one of my biggest obstacles. When I overate yesterday, I actually got my protein in and I theorized that the protein was why it felt good.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    A vegetarian hiker heavy lifter that does cardio 3 times a week????

If I were you I would raise my cals by 100 a week til I got to 2000 or so and see what the scale does. I don't know what your goals are but at some point you might need to gain a pound or two unless you're just interested in weight loss. Women hold on to glycogen stores more readily than men. So you need refeeds less often especially if you're trying to lose weight. So much of this situation would depend on what your priorities are. Body composition or strength?
  • CorvusCorax77
    Options

If I were you I would raise my cals by 100 a week til I got to 2000 or so and see what the scale does. I don't know what your goals are but at some point you might need to gain a pound or two unless you're just interested in weight loss. Women hold on to glycogen stores more readily than men. So you need refeeds less often especially if you're trying to lose weight. So much of this situation would depend on what your priorities are. Body composition or strength?

My goal is to be 16% body fat- but to get there without losing a bunch of LBM. If I lose 9 lbs of fat and don't lose any LBM, I will be there. So that's my goal right now.

ETA: I usually only do 10-15 mins of cardio on lifting days (HIIT if I got it in me) and one steady state/low intensity run of a longer duration once a week (I will regularly ditch this in favor of hiking, surfing, biking, etc)
  • ahmadfahmy
    ahmadfahmy Posts: 214 Member
    Options

refeeds are real. people mistake them as 'cheat meals', but theyre completely different. you dont need a refeed day unless you are cutting and dropped your carb intake significantly throughout the week.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options

My goal is to be 16% body fat- but to get there without losing a bunch of LBM. If I lose 9 lbs of fat and don't lose any LBM, I will be there. So that's my goal right now.

ETA: I usually only do 10-15 mins of cardio on lifting days (HIIT if I got it in me) and one steady state/low intensity run of a longer duration once a week (I will regularly ditch this in favor of hiking, surfing, biking, etc)

Ok that's not too bad. I would increase my cals with the leanest protein source you can find. Make sure your fat is right, and that you're getting in some sat fat from some source on a consistent basis.
  • gsgitu
    gsgitu Posts: 118 Member
    Options

you just made my saturday. grilled cheese with home made wheat bread, PBJ with home made wheat bread, french toast from home made wheat bread, one of those cheese cakes from the cheese cake group.......lets see......oh home made cinnamon rolls.....PB rice krispie treats.....