4 stone (56lbs) lost :)

Options
girlgroves
girlgroves Posts: 235 Member
There are 3 reasons I'm posting this:

1) I am so very grateful to all those people who posted their stories and photos and updates here on MFP - they have contributed to my success more than they will ever know - demonstrating what is really possible, helping me stay positive, motivated, determined and on track. I feel like I need to repay that somehow - if this post helps to convince just one person that they can succeed too, then I'll have paid forward my debt of gratitude.

2) I still can't quite believe how far I've come, how well I've been able to stick to my goals and how good it has actually felt (even along the way), so I'm hoping that writing it all down and seeing it in black and white for myself will help my brain catch up with my body (if you know what I mean!?) and help it finally sink in.

Finally, 3) I'm not done! - yes I've reached my final goal weight, I am substantially fitter, happier and hopefully healthier, but this isn't the first time I've been here and, from painful experience, I know that the job of maintaining will be just as much hard work as getting here was! I will need to be vigilant, and I want a permanent reminder of how I used to be, the changes I have made and the work I have put in, and how good it feels right now, to help me stay vigilant - to help me remember how much I really will NEVER.... GO.... BACK.....

So - this is as much for myself as for anyone else: I started my journey in February last year. I was 14 stone (196lbs) - the heaviest I have ever been. I was about to turn 45 and I was terrified by the fact that I couldn't climb the stairs at home without a pain in my chest and wheezing for breath. I started by joining a gym - Curves - a combination of strength/resistance training and cardio, and tried to go 3 times a week. My daughters joined with me, so there were no excuses for not going! I started walking more - going for a walk in my lunchtime once or twice a week, climbing mountains on the weekend with my family (I remember crying trying to get to the top of some of them!). I lost 17lbs by the summer of 2015, but I hadn't at this point really addressed the diet side of things. I stalled over our fortnight summer holiday, put a bit of weight back on and found it really difficult to get back into the exercise when I got home.

I joined MFP on the 1st of October 2015. My initial goal was to just get under 11 stone and I had a calorie limit of 1200/day. It was a shocking eye-opener! I had never counted calories before in my life! I genuinely didn't realise how all the food I was eating added up. I bought a digital kitchen scales, and measuring cups, I reduced my portion sizes, ate back every single calorie from exercise and more! It was initially really hard to end up within my calorie limit each day and I often didn't manage it. But I learnt a lot about which foods were high in calories and which ones were not, and how I could eat whatever I wanted, but in moderation. On the plus side, my weight loss initially sped up - after having plateaued for about 3 months, I lost 4lbs in the first week of calorie counting! Which encouraged me no end!

So, the changes I have made?

I log my food and exercise every day - I log everything at the beginning of the day and adjust it as the day progresses. It's become a habit. It only takes 5-10mins a day so I'm going to keep doing it.
I weigh daily - I record it to see the trend, but only 'officially' once a week. I only enter a loss into MPF when it's confirmed over a few days. I don't panic the fluctuations!
I walk every weekday lunchtime - fast, and as far as I can possibly can in 30mins! I really look forward to it and it grieves me if I have to miss it.
I go to the gym 3 times a week - I enjoy it, it makes me feel good and I'm not stopping.
I do a Pilates class once a week - it has helped my back no end. I have a core I didn't even know about and I'm going to keep working it!
I go for bike rides on the weekend - only about an hour, with my husband - we talk and I exercise. We've just bought me a new bike, sized to fit me better, and I intend to use it!
I've just re-started running - and I love it! So much so that I've even run in the rain! Who would have thought?!

The challenges I've overcome?

My Mum died in March 2015, very shortly after I started this journey. It's been hard, and emotional, but I'd like to think she'd be proud of me.

Physical pain - in so many places! My bad back has flared up - twice. I suffered plantar fasciitis for ages, twisted my ankle at one point, and have had recurring shin splints.

Patience. I am a control freak. And not a particularly patient one. But I have learned that weight loss is a process. I set myself mini, achievable goals every week, but I just adjusted them if I didn't quite make them and carried on. Slow seemed a pain, but slow can be steady and consistently slow and steady has worked!

Giving up caffeine. Don't ask - just awful withdrawal symptoms! I started having heart palpitations that got worse and worse, that the doctor put down to the amount of Diet Coke I was drinking - my much smaller body obviously couldn't cope with the same amount of caffeine!

And the benefits? IMMEASURABLE!

I'm fitter. I can now run up the stairs without even puffing. And I do. Every single flight I come across. Just because I can!

I'm smaller. My wedding rings fit again. My replacement 'wedding' ring is being re-sized to fit a finger on the other hand.

I feel fantastic! I've never had so many compliments on how I look. I feel great in my clothes. I look at myself in the mirror and I'm happy with what I see. If anything, I now enjoy clothes shopping a little bit too much!

I've established healthy habits for myself and my whole family. My youngest and I are running in our first 5k Race for Life this weekend. There's a local 5k parkrun that takes place every weekend, and we're thinking of joining that on a regular basis. My eldest still comes to the gym with me. I'm working on getting my husband to buy a new bike for himself next.

I'm hoping to be there for my girls for longer than my Mum could be there for me.

I'm sorry this has turned into such an essay - the stats and photos below sum it all up. If I can do it, you can too :)

Feb 2015- 14 stone (196lbs)
June 2016 - 10 stone (140lbs)
-56lbs
-47.5inches
-14% body fat
From UK size 18-20 to size 8-10.

Replies

• 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    You look amazing!
  • janettekathleen
    janettekathleen Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! You look really wonderful! Thank you for posting your story. I have only just begun my weight loss journey (2 weeks in), and sometimes the thought of travelling the distance seems a little overwhelming. Quite frankly, this is not the first time I've tried either. I've been a frequent flier when it comes to planning this trip, and have even started down the path LOTS - but I have never reached my destination. But your success is a true inspiration to me. It makes the day to day struggles sound like just the kind of rewards I'm looking forward to enjoying at the end. Thank you again - and Congratulations!! I wish you all the best with your maintenance. You got this!
  • madseasons
    madseasons Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    AMAZING! Great job hun!
  • girlgroves
    Options
    @2011rocket3touring thank you - amazing was never a word I'd have thought to pair with myself, but thank you :)
  • girlgroves
    Options
    @linziicb so pleased I've managed to inspire you! Well done on the 3 stone loss already - that's fab! Keep it up - you can do it! :)
  • girlgroves
    Options
    @madseasons thanks - it feels good to have finally posted my own success story after reading so many others.
  • girlgroves
    Options
    @janettekathleen thank you so much! This isn't the first time I've lost a large amount of weight either - but I think it'll be the most sustainable. Don't think about the distance you have to travel in one great big chunk - break it down into small, manageable goals - you'll get there - good luck xx
  • iandanamelia
    iandanamelia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    This was so inspirational to read. We have very similar starting stats and I could tell by the way you worded your story that you had lost a significant amount previously - the same as me. Your family must be so proud of you!

Did you eat the exercise calories that MFP said you had earned? Did you have many plateaus in that time? Did you find the weight harder to shift this time than previous attempts? Sorry for all the questions!
  • girlgroves
    Options
    @iandanamelia In the past I've reached 12st (in 2006) and 12st 12 (in 2009). Both times I managed to lose around 2 stone, using mostly just exercise (training for sprint triathlons first time around and a half marathon the second time). Neither time did I really sort out the eating side of things, which could explain why I piled the weight back on, and more, both times!?

In answer to your questions - yes, I've consistently eaten back mostly all the calories MFP has said I'd earned through exercise. Which is why I think the loss has been relatively slow. It could well have been faster if I'd not, but I was in no rush and rathered feel less like I was deprived of any of the foods I fancied. What I did find as I got fitter was that the MFP estimates for calories burned were overstated - I wasn't burning the same number of calories walking for example - I still logged them but tried reducing the time or intensity for the calculation. So for example I started logging walking at a leisurely pace instead of the brisk pace I'd actually walked. Or reduced the length of my gym workouts to 30 mins even though I was still doing 45 mins. Not particularly scientific but it seemed to work!

I had a few odd weeks where I'd lose nothing at all, but it rarely went up - except by a few pounds over Christmas and Easter. I plateaued for a little while twice - once when my back went again, and I couldn't exercise and once when I was nearing my initial goal - mainly because I got a bit lax with what I was eating I think! ;)

I definitely found the weight harder to get off this time! :( Maybe because I'm older, I certainly had more to lose! But it was a blessing in disguise, because had it not been more difficult this time I would never have sought out MFP and never have realised that I needed to address the 'calories in' side of the equation. Whilst I want to be more active, it's unsustainable for me to be constantly training for some major event to maintain a healthy weight (as I discovered in the past!)

You've got this - keep plugging away at it! :)
  • valerieuk1708
    valerieuk1708 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! Amazing!
  • JonnyJonny5555
    JonnyJonny5555 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Wow. What a lovely story, and congratulations for all that you have achieved. I read your post and the inspiration just flowed over me, so much so that I am now determined to keep my progress going.

It was sad to read about your Mum, but I am sure she would have been not just proud but delighted to see how well you have done.

Your comments about weighing everything and cutting out the high calorie items struck a chord because that is exactly the realisation I have come to after only a few weeks (I only started on June 1st). My learning curve has been steep and I am shocked at the calorie totals of certain foods I thought were 'not bad'.

As an old geezer, it was the arrival of my first granddaughter who sparked off the "how young will she be before her grandpa is no more?" question inside me at 20st 11lbs and a BMI of 40. I realised that I was a walking medical basket-case at that weight.

Now I am going to be grandpa for a second time. 18 days into this and I have lost the 11lbs, and am getting excited at the thought of one more pound to see only 19st xxlbs on the scales. The boost to my determination will be unknown and the rest is up to me.

Thanks very much for taking the time to post your thoughts and give me the positive boost that I needed.
  • reseecup24
    reseecup24 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I shed a few tears while reading this...I just recently started my weight loss journey! I've lost about 6lbs in two weeks, but I'm always discrediting myself telling myself that its just water weight you'll gain it back! I feel like I have so far to go, and like you said I am also very impatient. I want to see results asap! But reading this has given me the positive outlook that I need! I know the journey will be long and hard, but your inspirational story makes me want to push myself even harder! thank you for sharing!
  • girlgroves
    Options
    @JonnyJonny5555 Wow - 11lbs in 18 days is an amazing start, and just like you I found the more I lost the more excited I became and the more determined to succeed! It's hard but fab at the same time! :) Stay positive and don't give up - you've got the perfect motivation right there - 2 beautiful grandchildren!
  • Caroledeegee
    Caroledeegee Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    That is a wonderful story. Well done and you look fabulous!
  • girlgroves
    Options
    @reseecup24 awww - I actually shed a few tears writing it too! :'( 6lbs down already is amazing - almost half a stone! - there's no way that's all water weight - you've done the hard bit and started - keep reminding yourself of that! I did anything and everything to keep myself motivated and positive: taped pictures of a previously slim me inside the kitchen cupboards, kept a rolling record of all the tiny victories (like my watch becoming looser, my clothes becoming more comfortable, anything to look back at when I felt it was getting all too much). You can do it!
  • MiuNya
    MiuNya Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I also had serious shock when I started to log in some of the foods I ate thinking it can't be that bad but turns out the one small thing probably had the same amount as a full dinner! (instant noodles for example).

Your story is very inspiring, I am going to try and look over it again and write out tips. I personally don't think im active enough and thats why I am not losing it very fast at all right now (other than my pcos). My diet does be quite good more than not. My stomach is my problem area.

I realllly want a bike!! I am so tempted to spend my money on a bike and just get out on it every day up and down my estate/area and to the shops for water and some groceries I run out of. I will probably look like an idiot, my town is small and not many people bike... but I dont currr. I miss the feeling of cycling!!

I lost 35lbs and I still to this day wonder how that happened, it was very gradual over 2+ years. I am about 15 away from my goal... I want to be 130, this suits my very short height you see. I still have a huge backside/tummy. Basically a never ending spare tire D: I used to wear sizes 18s and stuff and now im down to 14 :-) so thats amazing, and yet I still dont feel I am where I wanna be juuust yet.

Anyway im just ranting, congratulations anyway!

• nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    @girlgroves, yours is one of my favorite posts ever. Patience and perseverance is the biggest part of the equation--and often the most difficult. Like you, I use the stories posted here to motivate and push myself and like you, I have crossed the finish line before, only to go back. Thank you for posting. I wish you the best success in maintenance, but it sounds like you are ready to write the next chapter. I'm right behind you. Please friend me if you'd like support as you move forward on your journey.
  • iandanamelia
    iandanamelia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with @nowine4me this is definitely one of my favourite posts too.
  • girlgroves
    Options
    @nowine4me @iandanamelia 'favourite post' -wow - thank you - that's really quite overwhelming! (blush)

It always seemed that all the success stories I read were from people who had lost so much more weight than I would, or in so much less time than me - I really felt very ordinary. I'm so pleased I've at least been able to inspire some people! As I said, I was posting as much for myself as anyone else!

Thank you so much everyone for all your lovely comments and support - I've felt bouyed up! xx
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!