To those struggling with scale changes and body image (most of us?!)

Options
I'm posting this to hopefully, help at least one other person in a similar situation.

Do you over obsess over your goal weight? Did you hit it once and never see it again and a matter of 2 lbs drives you insane? I did. I let it eat up a year... more even of my life.

So below are 2 pics. One is my last year's weight graph, and one is a pic of me at (nearly) goal weight, and me now. The weight graph is to show you i was driving myself crazy over some numbers that actually, were very small and rational people would tell me that at a glance!

The pic is, me at 1 lb over "goal weight" and miserable because i wasn't there. The second pic was last week, 2 lbs under goal weight. I personally would say the change looks larger than that, and that's exactly my point. once your into maintenece, don't scale chase. It makes you crazy! Just work on improving yourself and your fitness if you still don't like what you see. I really, really hope this helps someone.

b9tndgbqbu21.png
luzknwurfzjd.jpg

Replies

• CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    2lbs is nothing to stress over. You are going to drive yourself insane.

I have a maintenance range of 10lbs. I don't have the mental energy to agonize over every single fluctuation. If I go over the 10lb range, I go back to calorie cutting. Below, I eat more. But within the 10lb range, eh, who cares. My clothes do not really fit different, no one can tell too much. *shrug*
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Ah good someone got the point of the post :)
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    Oh the other Gw of people used to drive me insane, I stay away from those threads now as it's not good to compare!
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Thank you, thank you! This is perfect for me...now I have to really get it inside my mind
  • ARGriffy
    Options
    bfanny wrote: »
    Thank you, thank you! This is perfect for me...now I have to really get it inside my mind

As I said, if I help one person I'm happy :) good luck!! X
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    OP, sorry to sound daft, but I'm completely missing the point of your post.

My understanding of it, is that i can see a noticeable difference in the 2lbs you lost in your before and after pic. So my takeaway, is yes a piddly 2lbs can make a visible difference.
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options

My understanding of it, is that i can see a noticeable difference in the 2lbs you lost in your before and after pic. So my takeaway, is yes a piddly 2lbs can make a visible difference.

Yep - I'm with you.

• jinny1313
    jinny1313 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Go for inches and body fat, not goal weight. The whole "muscle weighs more than fat" rumor is real
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing this. I've been maintaining for about 3 months now. My original goal was 110, then 105. I got as low as 102. Now I'm hovering around 106, trying to get back to 105. Your post helps me. I am aware that I need to focus on how I feel and how I look rather than a stupid number on the scale. But, I also need to keep an eye on the scale weight as it is a unit of measurement that tells me if I am going out of control.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I'm glad i got old enough to stop letting numbers control me. I used to base my value on them alot- age, weight, pants size were the big ones. No one can see any of those things on me.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    For me it's 10 lb to lose back off. I had no access to a gym for several months due to having to move several times. The house we were going to move into fell out from under us so to speak and we were struggling. I am now permanently housed and back to the gym. As I am 47 years old, short, prediabetic, arthritic and menopausal, you can figure how challenging the weight loss is. I am trying to focus on doing the right things each day more so than attempting to press fast forward on the scale. In your photos, both look beautiful so take heart. :) Just do the right things each day and if doing those right things has you 2 or 3 lb more than you anticipated, then try looking at your fitness improvements and your measurements to help get an accurate picture. You clearly have a lot to be proud of. :)
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options

Yeah I'm confused too. You say not to let numbers on the scale control you yet you worked hard to lose 2-3 more pounds and it made a huge difference in your body. Kind of contradicting yourself.