Probiotics, yay or nay?

Options
I have heard a lot about the benefits of taking a probiotics pill. Anyone have any experience with this? Any information would be appreciated, as I don't want my primary informer to be Google!

Replies

• Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    Yes.

Probiotic foods throughout the day (yogurt, fermented foods like raw sauerkraut, kefir, etc)

Prebiotic foods that provide fiber for the bugs to grow in, too.
  • Spiegelchan
    Spiegelchan Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I end up feeling kind of nauseous if I don't eat yogurt every day or two, so that most likely has something to do with probiotics. The supplements I only really take when I'm actually sick and on antibiotics, though my mom does take them regularly. I think you should try them, and you'll be able to tell whether you feel better afterwards or not.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I've been taking probiotics on and off for so many years I can't even say if tell if they make a positive difference or not..

I do know that if i take antibiotics and am not also taking probiotics at the time i will 100% end up with thrush. So they are definitely a life saver in this instance.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i take them, drink them, eat them in yogurt, kimchi, and other fermented foods. My dr prettt much "makes" me due to my bowels having no interest in getting things moving. I have a pretty shot immune system and most of your immune system is in your digestive track. Still not sure if it does anything. Good bacteria aint gonna hurt so oh well.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I eat acidophilus wafers, they come in strawberry and blueberry flavors from whole foods, very tasty.

Yogurt has probiotic and acidophilus in it too
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    I've never taken them and I have no problems with my gut or bowls.
  • nurees
    nurees Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I take the Renew Life brand. Won't ever go back to a drug store brand again. My inflammation is reduced dramatically. Costcondritis under control and bathroom issues are gone. Only drawback is the better the quality they need to be refrigerated. Yogurt bothers my stomach.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    If you ever take antibiotics, take probiotics after you stop taking antibiotics to re-build your good bacteria.
    For losing weight = waste of money.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    My doctor has recommended that I take a probiotic everyday, but never at the same time as the antibiotic as they interfere with each other. Also make sure you take one that can get passed the stomach or eat natural foods that contain them to bypass that