WhicH Fitbit should I buy?

Options
I'm looking into purchasing a fit bit.

I've looked mostly at the Fitbit Flex and the Fitbit Alta.

Can anyone give me some direction as to which one I should purchase?

Please state and pro's and con's as it is a lot of money and I really want to be sure of what I'm purchasing.

Thank you :smile:

Replies

• DarthJader89
    DarthJader89 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I just got my flex today and while I'm enjoying it so far it has a hard time connecting to MFP at first (now working great!) and it doesn't have a heart rate monitor which is a bit disappointing. Overall I'd say it's good for exactly what it says on the website, activity, step counting and sleep quality
  • edixon127
    edixon127 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I've had my Alta for two weeks now and I LOVE it! I considered the Flex, Alta, and Charge HR, but decided I didn't need a heart rate monitor. The reason I ended up going with the Alta is because of the display. I really wanted something that I could wear at work and use as a watch and fitness tracker. The Alta also has "movement reminders" that will tell you if you haven't put in 250 steps/hr. I also like that it displays steps instead of just dots as I think that motivates me more. If you don't care about using your Fitbit as a watch or having a display then by all means go with the Flex. But I thought it was well worth the extra money to have a display!
  • __leis__
    __leis__ Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I just went from the flex to the Alta and I love the Alta so much more! It gives you lots more info without having to open the app, it has a clock, and the battery lasts longer. Another thing that I didn't care for on my flex is that the band's always looked dirty after a few days, no matter how often I tried to clean them. I was constantly buying new bands (they're inexpensive on amazon so inexpensive guess it's not that bad) the Alta bands are a but more pricey but I've had mine over a month and it still looks great!
  • BeReBornFitness
    BeReBornFitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit blaze, the heart rate monitors of fitbits are highly inaccurate. Considering all of the gathered data throughout your day is based on your heart rate you can see how this would be a problem. Fitness industry standard is Polar. If you are wanting persice data, Polar watches with a chest strap heart rate monitor. Fitbits are good if you are wanting to get a general understanding of everything but Polar is highly accurate.
  • ritaw68
    ritaw68 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I went from the Fitbit Zip to the Alta. I really like it. It seems to be pretty accurate with counting steps. I like the clock and the reminders. I don't really use it for sleep because I find it uncomfortable to sleep in. My only con, and this is minor; I don't put my Alta on first thing in the morning because I have to shower, so I always feel like I'm missing steps. With my Zip, I clipped it to my pj's as soon as I changed clothes, so the next morning as soon as I am out of the bed, it starts counting steps. It's just a few steps but it's a mental thing for me. LOL.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit blaze, the heart rate monitors of fitbits are highly inaccurate. Considering all of the gathered data throughout your day is based on your heart rate you can see how this would be a problem. Fitness industry standard is Polar. If you are wanting persice data, Polar watches with a chest strap heart rate monitor. Fitbits are good if you are wanting to get a general understanding of everything but Polar is highly accurate.

Neither the Flex nor the Alta measure heart rate.

I had the Flex for about a year and a half and I liked it. I've since switched to the Charge HR so I never looked at the Alta, but I would go with that one due to showing the actual step count/numbers instead of just lights towards your goal.
  • charlesfit1
    charlesfit1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Recommended: None! Google: "FitBit lawsuit" there's quite a few lawsuits because Fitbit is not accurate. Almost every other brand is better. Fitbit just looks "cutesy" and they have deep pockets for "ads" but, definitely Polar, Garmin or Mio for sure. If not pushing hard/really want real progress and be safe (not pass out due to inaccurate HR), I'd suggest any other brand.
  • BobDrzyzgula
    BobDrzyzgula Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Take a look at the Fitbit One. I've used this model for over a year and have been very happy with it. The clip kind of sucks, and I lost my first one. But I bought some stainless ball chain (like for dog tags) and keep it around my neck on that. It works very well and it doesn't get in the way on my wrist. It counts floors, and will track sleep but only on a wristband and you have to start the sleep monitoring manually. But overall I like it.
  • jlavdl86
    jlavdl86 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I know you are asking about Fitbits but depending on what you do a polar or garmin may be a better option. I have a Garmin Vivoactive HR, I love it because it has the independent GPS (which is excellent for my hiking), and when I want a more accurate HR reading, I can use my chest strap. Then performs all the other functions of a Fitbit including steps, sleep tracking etc. If you are just looking for a HR, a polar may be better for you. I used my polar for years and it was awesome. This video helped me make my decision https://youtu.be/sbF1zc2MZl0