Running injuries!

Options
I used to run quite a bit, then got fatter and stopped!

I'm trying to get back into but every time i run my calf is agony! I put it down to my legs not being used to running with all the extra fat but I've rested it for a week and bang, first time running same again!

Is it actually just because I'm fatter or an injury? I've never injured my calf... how long should i stay off it or should i stretch or try and run it off...

any advise would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Is it one calf or both?

I am not a doctor - but I am always more concerned about uneven pain. If both calves are very sore then it might just be a combination of the muscles being unused to work and your extra weight. If it's just one, it might be an injury so I'd get it checked out. Also sharp pains that feel like a twist or a tug are more worrying than achy sore pains, and pain that feels like bone or joint pain is more likely to be an injury.

Get it looked at. Even if it feels minor today, you don't want to make things worse. In the mean time just listen to your body. Do some gentle stretches and walking - as long as that feels ok to you - and elevate it when you're sitting.
  • LiamDWalter
    Options
    just the one calf....

And it comes on quite sharp so looks like it might be an injury as appose to just being heavy! Thanks for the advise, ill get it looked at!