sooo!! i got a few family members to join!!

Options
im excited to see how we all do as a family!!..being a latin family we love us some rice and beans with our meat full of spices..grease..fried..oiled..lol!! its hard to change the way you eat being latin..cause we live this way for years!!..so anyone out there got some tips..on how not to crave all that good stuff thats bad for you at the end of the day...cause man i almost blew it yesterday craving junk food!!! ahhhh!!! :tongue:

Replies

• megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Small changes, different oils, all grains, leaner meats, you can do. Food still can and does taste great. Make it a family challenge to see who can come up with the healthiest tastiest meal. And welcome to you call. You can do it.
  • gingerra19800
    Options
    danQ!!!!..(thank you)..so very much that sounds fun actually... about the making a meal challenge!!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    well you still get to use all your spices--cilantro, cumin. you can use a crock pot for stews like lingua, the no lard is a major change for you. i've used this recipe for low fat refried beans:

Ingredients

1 pound dried pinto or red beans
    1 large onion, quartered
    3 garlic cloves
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    3 drops hot pepper sauce
    Directions

Place beans in a Dutch oven; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans; discard liquid. Return beans to pan; add water to cover. Add onion and garlic; bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat for 2 hours or until beans are very tender, adding water to keep covered if needed. Discard onion and garlic. Mash beans with a potato masher, leaving some beans whole. Stir in cumin and hot pepper sauce.
    I add some fresh green peppers, red onions, cilantro, and tomatoes before serving.

Nutritional Analysis: One 1/2-cup serving equals 180 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 6 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 11 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
  • gingerra19800
    Options
    that recipe sounds yummers!!! ok so thats good to hear..and danQ for sharing that with me! very much appreciated :smile: