Need to maintain and build muscle

Options
elncatalan
elncatalan Posts: 12 Member
edited June 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone! After 25 years, at 44 I finally decided to lose the extra weight I was carrying. I lost 19 lbs and back to my teen years weight! Now I want to build muscle so I don't look "skinny" to everyone. (People have commented). What's the best way for me to build my arms, back, abs and legs. I'm not super active and I'd like to do this at home with small weights. Not looking for mega bulk (bodybuilder) but feminine musculature. And what's the best way to eat to keep me energized, if possible with whole foods, lean meats and no supplements or protein shakes. Thanks :)

Replies

• papadopouloshlias
    papadopouloshlias Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Crossfit :smiley:
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Well good news is that even with heavy weights without steroid use you won't become mega bulky or even bulky. Small weights won't help much as you need progression to increase your muscle mass so perhaps a bodyweight program like you are your own gym or convict training.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Crossfit :smiley:

At home with small weights?
  • elncatalan
    Options
    So Singing Flute lady, I need heavier weights?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    How heavy are your weights? As I said you can do it with bodyweight exercises
  • elncatalan
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I presently use a gallon jug of water (7lb) and wrist weights 2.5. Literally just started this phase. I do squats with the jug, dance and other arm exercises with the wrist weights, and planks, etc. I use a Yoga trapeze which I should probably use more for body weight stuff. Love planks!
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    If you can get progression in (making the exercises harder) you will be golden.
  • elncatalan
    Options
    Sorry, not totally understanding. You mean adding weights to these exercises or doing them more?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Adding weight, adding reps (to a certain point), less rest between sets, adding difficulty (for example with pushups if you can do normal ones try raising your feet or putting a weight on your back, if you can't do them yet try doing them on an incline and gradually lower the incline until you can do them with your hands on the floor),
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    As you are just starting out these 2 programmes will work for you.

Nerd fitness is a bodyweight one thar you can add complexity to to increase the resistance, or: once you are competent at the plank do side planks, or go from elbow to hand and back again. There is a really good chart of plank variations if you google it.

HasFit is a hand weight routine that you can do with the weights you have.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U0bhE67HuDY

Cheers, h.
  • Maggieba
    Maggieba Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you want an at-home bodyweight program, check out You Are Your Own Gym &/or Convict Conditioning. Both are progressive programs (start easier and become harder to challenge the muscle to continue making gains). I really like YAYOG and the app is worth the $5. I also have the book which goes into more depth. There also a 2nd version geared towards women (same author). I think it starts a bit easier and has less days.