40 Day Challenge

Options
Hi All,

I have set my self a challenge which is 1500 Cals a day for 40 days and I have to burn 25% of those at the gym each day too.

I am on day 2 - 38 to go!

Tony

Replies

• Fasaanya
    Fasaanya Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Have fun!! You absolutely can do it ^^
  • tonywilkinson530
    tonywilkinson530 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    And no beer either :(
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Hi and welcome! Have read any of the stickies? Good info! Your plan is well intentioned but is not needed, more like torture!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-general-diet-and-weight-loss-help-must-reads#latest

ETA: cuz beer :D
  • tonywilkinson530
    Options
    Wow - thanks - if you can make this easier I'd be happy
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Losing and maintaining weight is all about making it as easy as possible. Because it takes time, and you can torture yourself only for so long.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Good luck with this challenge !
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    What is your goal? Height? Your weight now?
  • tonywilkinson530
    Options
    I'm 6'2" and I was 106kg I've already lost nearly 4KG and my first goal is to get under 100kg after that / I want to get under 90kg then I'll be happy ;)

This app has calculated that I need 1500 cal a day to lose 1kg a week.

Any help and tips much appreciated.
  • tonywilkinson530
    Options
    I've also started working from home and I am fairly worried about how much I don't move anymore! Hence Gym every day
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Eat more.

You'll still lose weight, but your athletic performance, body composition and overall wellbeing won't suffer.
  • tonywilkinson530
    Options
    Eat more ??? How much more?
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can definitely eat more. MFP gave you 1500 calories because you set it to lose 2 lbs/week. MFP is designed to work without exercise, therefore when you do exercise it expects you to eat those calories back. Otherwise you will potentially be under-eating or under-fueling.

I'm also 6'2" and easily lost 1 lb/week on 2200 calories plus eating my exercise calories.

Also agree with adding some form of resistance training. Either body-weight training, (google/youtube YAYOG or Convict Training), or free-weights (All Pro Routine on bodybuilding.com).
  • tonywilkinson530
    Options
    Thanks sooo much for your reply. That's great to know i didn't get the fact I have to eat the calories back

I've added weight training but can't see the app stating what the Cals are when I log the exercise
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Add weight training under Exercise Dairy>Cardio>Strength Training. Calorie burn is small. Do not use a HRM to estimate calorie burns for weight training.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Thanks sooo much for your reply. That's great to know i didn't get the fact I have to eat the calories back

I've added weight training but can't see the app stating what the Cals are when I log the exercise

I wouldn't eat them all back as they can be over estimated. Many go for 50-75%
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Forget logging exercise and eating back exercise calories, it's far too inaccurate.

Instead base things on your total daily energy expenditure. Pick a reasonable calorie goal, say 2300 - 2500;calories a day whilst partaking in regular exercise.

Accurately log your intake and monitor trends in weight using an app like trendweight or libra.

Adjust calories up and down as necessary.
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    It's accurate if you use a HRM or fitness tracker - just not from machines. You can totally eat back at least 50% - you need them to fuel your workouts. I don't log weight training - those are a bonus! Have fun experimenting with what you enjoy and what works for you!
  • tonywilkinson530
    Options
    Cool thanks all -