Why am I still fat?

I'm not over weight because I am in a normal BMI however when I look in the mirror I see fat, double chin still there, man boobs still there, I'm 6ft 180 lbs. People keep telling me I can stop my diet anytime as I have lost 50lbs and I am starting to look under weight and it doesn't suit me but I don't see it, yes may be I am under weight now compared to how I was but I was a fat mess before hand but I am still fat.

I know guys heavier than me who are not fat and they are average guys not body builders with loads of muscle. I think the term skinny fat sums me up.

Replies

• dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Do you lift bro?

Yes, I have been lifting 5 times per week since I started my diet in January
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    What program are you doing?
  • Wombat468
    Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
    Can you post a picture?
  • Jcl81
    Jcl81 Posts: 154 Member
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    Do you lift bro?

Yes, I have been lifting 5 times per week since I started my diet in January
    It takes a long time to make change. It's realistically years not months for natural lifters.
  • dave_in_ni
    What program are you doing?

Program called Bigger leaner stronger http://www.muscleforlife.com/bigger-leaner-stronger/

Todays workout for example

Dumbell bench press
    Shoulder press
    Bench press
    Barbell shrugs
    Standing calf raises
    Dumbell lateral raises
  • dave_in_ni
    edited June 2016
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    Can you post a picture?

You dont really want to see it. http://imgur.com/DZcDkSn
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    Can you post a picture?

You dont really want to see it.

I'm sure we've all seen worse. Most of us have probably been worse.

It's likely an issue of low lean mass. That will take time to correct. I don't look ripped despite being a competitive body builder. In clothes I just look like a normal person. You don't have to aspire to look like a bodybuilder, but adding lean mass and then losing some more fat is going to fix most of what you don't like.
  • dave_in_ni
    Could also be saggy skin.

Yes I have some of that to.
  • dave_in_ni
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Can you post a picture?

You dont really want to see it.

I'm sure we've all seen worse. Most of us have probably been worse.

It's likely an issue of low lean mass. That will take time to correct. I don't look ripped despite being a competitive body builder. In clothes I just look like a normal person. You don't have to aspire to look like a bodybuilder, but adding lean mass and then losing some more fat is going to fix most of what you don't like.

Picture added
  • dave_in_ni
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    You don't look "fat" to me. If you're looking for abs and defined pecs, etc, keep at your lifting, eat at a small deficit, and progress slowly with both your lifts and your calories until you're lifting heavy and eating at at least maintenance. Good job on coming so far! 50 pounds is an incredible achievement!

I'm not really sure what I want, I guess I just want a normal slightly toned look, not the flabby look I have going on now. Its a hell of a lot better than it was that's for sure but it still doesn't look like I lost 50lbs, people will ask me "How much have you lost" and I tell them and I get the impression they think i'm talking BS

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,920 Member
    Just based on what I know from experience, you just lack a lot of lean muscle. As usmcmp stated, go more to a recomp.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    First off you've done a great job so far. Have you calculated you body-fat %? I agree with usmcmp and ninerbuff regarding low lean mass and higher body fat, though your bmi is good. Recomp is definitely an option, but I personally found the changes to bf% too slow. I suspect you will also. Keep lifting and losing and reevaluate at 175 lbs. BTW you may end up looking too skinny to others before you start to add more mass and you will also have to deal with saggy skin until it has enough time to shrink.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    edited June 2016
    Ok...so you're not still fat. Like at all. I think either you want to build more muscle or...and I know this is an issue with me...you are not seeing yourself accurately.

I wonder if you have a friend that could find a bunch of pictures of men's bodies of varying sizes (with no heads). See if you can line them up from smallest to biggest just to see where you truly fit.

Alternatively, you could also seek the help of a personal trainer to begin shaping your body the way you want it to look.