Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    No. I choose foods I love :)
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If I ate only what I really liked, I might easily end up eating meat, bread, and cheese and nothing else. That is not a healthy or sustainable system, so I force a lot of things that I do not actively hate but would rarely to never choose over a cheeseburger. They make my cheeseburger taste better in contrast. o:)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Yeah, I didn't mean eating candy because it tastes better than vegetables. But, if a food actually makes your gut cease up and gag and feel nauseated. I have a malabsorption disorder. So, I am on a strict diet. I have to carefully pay attention to and track my reactions to food.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I never eat food I actually hate. I do eat food I like. I like a great many foods. I do eat some foods more for nutrition than great liking.
    Sometimes I eat eggs or carrots. I don't hate them but they are not foods I love. I would never eat 10 eggs a day.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    No. I don't eat foods that I don't like.
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't force yourself to eat anything you don't like. That'll just make the whole experience totally unbearable and you'll be less likely to stick with your dietary alterations and make them life long.

It's easier for people who have a wide palette/range of taste. I'm lucky that there's very little I don't like, but my partner is the complete opposite. Cooking in our household is literally like cooking two completely different meals every dinner time. But it means I get all the foods I love and I can reap the benefits from whereas my partner doesn't have to suffer eating them. There are little tricks though...homemade tomato sauce is a very clever way of fitting in extra veggies. I can fit peppers, onions, Celery, butternut squash and a number of other vegetables into mine and by the time the tastes mould together, you'd never know they were in there because the tomatoes overpower the flavour. Other ideas...smoothies, curries, pasta sauces, casseroles, even stuffed chicken breasts. If you put cheese into stuffed chicken breasts, you'll find that the other flavours, while there, aren't so intense so could be easier to digest.

But end result is, never force yourself to eat something you just can't stomach.

Good luck
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Oops. In my post I intended to write seize up. Not cease. Lol
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Rutabaga will never hit my plate. My husband hates peas, and I don't think he has to eat them.

Now with Brussels sprouts, I always hated them until a friend served them in a way I had never had them prepared...and now they are a bona fide favorite!

How were they prepared?? I dont like brussel sprouts but maybe I just don't like how I have tried them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything I don't like. I do make myself eat veggies I don't love though, or I would rarely eat veggies...
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't force myself to eat anything. I used to be a picky eater - or, I perceived myself picky. Nobody is totally omnivorous. Over the years I've been introduced to more foods, and I'm more inclined to try new things. Some of them just don't agree with me: Avocado, olives, eggplant, tomatoes (unless pureed). Some are just a silly aversion, stemming from associations: "chickpeas" sound almost like "whooping cough" in my language, hummus sounds like humus (dirt), and I've only recently tasted Pink Lady apples, I struggled coming over the "unnatural" color. Some have to be prepared right: Corn, peppers, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, peas, asparagus, chicken, eggs.

Some of the foods mentioned here are among my staples: spinach, eggs, yoghurt, carrots, beans, fruit (don't you like ANY fruit?? They are so diverse!), liver (I eat lots of liver pate, I've even made my own!), rutabaga, kale and zucchini.

I'd like to repeat what I said in your other thread: Your comfort zone grows whenever you step out of it. Try something new from time to time. You may like it. But don't force yourself. And something I forgot to say: Find food you like that doesn't hurt you. Steer away from food without brakes.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    You shouldn't force yourself to eat anything you don't like. That'll just make the whole experience totally unbearable and you'll be less likely to stick with your dietary alterations and make them life long.

It's easier for people who have a wide palette/range of taste. I'm lucky that there's very little I don't like, but my partner is the complete opposite. Cooking in our household is literally like cooking two completely different meals every dinner time. But it means I get all the foods I love and I can reap the benefits from whereas my partner doesn't have to suffer eating them. There are little tricks though...homemade tomato sauce is a very clever way of fitting in extra veggies. I can fit peppers, onions, Celery, butternut squash and a number of other vegetables into mine and by the time the tastes mould together, you'd never know they were in there because the tomatoes overpower the flavour. Other ideas...smoothies, curries, pasta sauces, casseroles, even stuffed chicken breasts. If you put cheese into stuffed chicken breasts, you'll find that the other flavours, while there, aren't so intense so could be easier to digest.

But end result is, never force yourself to eat something you just can't stomach.

Good luck

Yes, my husband is a picky eater. So, this is similar to how we were. But, I have a malabsorption disorder now. So it's much weirder now. I just make my own food. And different food for the rest of the family. Just because I have limitations I always have to be aware of. And they can eat whatever they want. Sometimes they eat my food too (like chicken and/or veggies or we all eat strawberries). But, they don't eat my food every day.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    No, but I have broad tastes. I think if I was a fussy eater, there might be things I'd make myself eat for nutrition.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I don't force myself to eat anything. I used to be a picky eater - or, I perceived myself picky. Nobody is totally omnivorous. Over the years I've been introduced to more foods, and I'm more inclined to try new things. Some of them just don't agree with me: Avocado, olives, eggplant, tomatoes (unless pureed). Some are just a silly aversion, stemming from associations: "chickpeas" sound almost like "whooping cough" in my language, hummus sounds like humus (dirt), and I've only recently tasted Pink Lady apples, I struggled coming over the "unnatural" color. Some have to be prepared right: Corn, peppers, mushrooms, brussel sprouts, peas, asparagus, chicken, eggs.

Some of the foods mentioned here are among my staples: spinach, eggs, yoghurt, carrots, beans, fruit (don't you like ANY fruit?? They are so diverse!), liver (I eat lots of liver pate, I've even made my own!), rutabaga, kale and zucchini.

I'd like to repeat what I said in your other thread: Your comfort zone grows whenever you step out of it. Try something new from time to time. You may like it. But don't force yourself. And something I forgot to say: Find food you like that doesn't hurt you. Steer away from food without brakes.

Omnivorous just means eating a variety of foods from both plant and animal origins. Pretty much everyone is omnivorous.
  • magicpickles
    magicpickles Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    @kommodevaran I like some fruit, but I need some motivation to eat it these days. I don't like apples or bananas but will eat them if they are prepared a certain way, like in a fruit salad, a smoothie or a dessert. I don't like water melon because of the pips. I don't usually like strawberries, unless they are covered in chocolate. I like oranges and blueberries if they are the right amount of sweet. I like the occassional grape, but get bored with them. Etc.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options

Omnivorous just means eating a variety of foods from both plant and animal origins. Pretty much everyone is omnivorous.

I stand corrected. I was thinking in my mother tongue (Norwegian), and we use the term about one that eats plants and animal (products), but also about one that will eat any food (and figuratively, read any book and watch every movie) offered and not refuse anything. Sorry about that.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope - too many other foods to eat things I don't like. I can get my "nutrition" from a different food.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Thank the lord i'm an adult and I refuse to eat anything I dislike!! Now as a child I was forced liver and i like the way kfc makes it but my mom really killed it, IDK what she did wrong but it was awful and tough and just gross! Oh i did try a black bean brownie (alternative to chocolate) that first one was voluntary but I refuse to ever have that again!!! *gag*
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I stand corrected. I was thinking in my mother tongue (Norwegian), and we use the term about one that eats plants and animal (products), but also about one that will eat any food (and figuratively, read any book and watch every movie) offered and not refuse anything. Sorry about that.

I think usually someone that is vegan or vegetarian wouldn't be called an omnivore. I think omnivore means eats plant food and animal food.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    bvff35 wrote: »
    dlkfox wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Rutabaga will never hit my plate. My husband hates peas, and I don't think he has to eat them.

Now with Brussels sprouts, I always hated them until a friend served them in a way I had never had them prepared...and now they are a bona fide favorite!

How were they prepared?? I dont like brussel sprouts but maybe I just don't like how I have tried them.

1 and a half pound of fresh Brussels sprouts (the smaller they are the better)
    1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    Dash of red pepper flakes
    2 Tbsp olive oil
    4 oz breakfast sausage

Trim and halve each sprout. Mix all except for sausage. Spread on a baking tray. Break apart sausage over the sprouts. Roast for 20 minutes. Flip them over and roast for another 20 minutes. Serves 4.

Optional: mince some garlic and add in during the last 15 minutes of cooking time.

They aren't low calorie but oh so good and absolutely loaded with vitamins. My 13yo begs for them now. I have to carefully portion the batch out to avoid fights over portions.
  • cinnag4225
    cinnag4225 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I forced myself to try eating cottage cheese recently. Still not too crazy about the texture, but I discovered a bit of pepper and lemon juice does wonders for the flavor. I still can't stand yogurt, but I'm finding I can handle the mini danone probiotic drinks so I usually have one of those with breakfast.