Advice before I start

Options
2»

Replies

• lseed87
    lseed87 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    Bust, hips and waist are the typical ones. Maybe arms and thighs if you want. Doing before pictures is good. Needs to be a lifestyle change. Moderation. Don't think of it as another diet. Set mini goals
  • hellonew2015
    hellonew2015 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Make this process easy for you. What is easy for me is to eat the same breakfast and lunch then it varies for dinner/snacks. Not much planning so I can do this and continue to. I have been here almost one year and not missed a day logging my food. using a food scale and watching my macros are a key to my success so far. Also I do not eat out much.
  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Make this process easy for you. What is easy for me is to eat the same breakfast and lunch then it varies for dinner/snacks. Not much planning so I can do this and continue to. I have been here almost one year and not missed a day logging my food. using a food scale and watching my macros are a key to my success so far. Also I do not eat out much.

brilliant advice. I do kind of the same thing but vary lunches, and have the same dinner.
    I've saved 4 or 5 'meals' (salmon lunch, chicken salad, pasta salad etc ) and take a few minutes on Sunday pre-logging and playing with my weekly meals. I find that really helpful, in the mornings I use my phone to prepare my tupperware in a sleepy fugue-like state and don't have to really engage my brain.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Make sustainable changes (that includes a reasonable calorie goal)
    Weigh your food
    Log everything
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    danhib wrote: »
    Best advice I can give you is have a good breakfast even if you don't like breakfast like me lol. I normally go for oats or eggs on toast. You will eat a lot less throughout the day if you just do that. Best of luck to you!

Don't do this.

Eat healthy, good portion sizes, when your hungry. Why eat 300 calories you don't want?
  • scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My best piece of advice is goals and sub goals and reassess regularly.

For example:
    20lbs by Christmas
    5lbs by a friends wedding in August

Also, it's good that you took a photo, although it's always good to make sure the photo follows the same rules. Sunlight could make shadows making it look less improvement than you really achieved. So I would say may sure your camera is propped in the same location, at night, same light on, don't try to suck in or tense.

My gf using a pair of shorts as a guide, she could fit in them 3 years ago, no chance a month ago, now they can just do up. She's self conscious about thighs so this shows more than the scales at times.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Just to add to the already great advice:
    Don't do something that hasn't worked out well for you in the past. For me, I always failed when I started cutting foods out when I tried to lose weight and just ended up miserable and bored. This time, I haven't cut any foods out (yes, I still eat sweets/sugar/cakes/cookies) and just started weighing and logging all the food that i eat. I have successfully stuck with my weight loss this time and am 85+lbs down.

A calorie deficit is all that is needed for weight loss. No need to over complicate weight loss by giving up the foods that you love unless there's a medical reason to give up the food.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been on maintenance at my goal for nearly 5 years. Best advice - whatever you do to lose the weight needs to be something you are willing to continue forever. Otherwise, when you stop, the weight will come right back on.
  • WordWhisperer
    WordWhisperer Posts: 33 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Micro goals!

Seriously. My goals revolve sounds every five pounds, and also every time the tens digit on the scale changes.

This means I'm almost always two or three pounds from my next goal, and that is hugely, hugely motivating to me when I am trying to stare down a cinnamon roll. "But I could hit my goal tomorrow if I say no..."

When I think instead about that enormous end goal that is not even in sight yet, the cinnamon roll tends to win.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Non scale goals are great too. I have fitness goals that I usually hit every few weeks or so. Great way to keep the motivation up.