Meat Slicer - Worth it?

Options
I cook like 4 lbs of chicken at a time, and cutting it is a real pain...anyone here bought/used a meat slicer?

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I don't have one. I do believe in buying any gadget for the kitchen that will assist you on your way to success :)
  • kirayng2
    kirayng2 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Shred it in a food processor? I think it comes with a slicing blade too.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @AspenDan: I find the easiest way to cut chicken and most other meats is to have it slightly frozen. Not rock hard, but somewhat firm. Try that before investing in a meat slicer. Best kitchen tools are clean hands and sharp knife.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    A good sharp chef's knife works pretty well for me. I would think the time to put together, the cleanup, the storage would all detract from a meat slicer. Hold the meat with gloves or a paper towel if that bothers you, but buying and maintaining good knives is really helpful in the kitchen for more than just meat.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    How thin are you cutting this chicken? Meat slicers are good if you really need super thin slices, otherwise a knife should be faster (and a lot less cleanup and hazard to your fingers). Whole cooked chickens are also easy to portion (no knife even necessary!)