Bulking without lifting?

Options
2»

Replies

• laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have done amazingly well with Kelly Coffee-Meyers DVD's. I got them at amazon.com. I'm not bulky but have muscle definition and my shoulders look amazing!
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Depends how heavy you are OP :P
  • viajera99
    viajera99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Nerd Fitness has a very effective body weight workout program. You can become very strong with body weight alone.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Charles Bronson,

yes the criminal,

built some serious muscle and fitness just doing body weight exercises.

check out his stuff on solitary confinement fitness,

he still holds the record for full press ups in 2 minutes, at a little over 170 , he was 53 when he completed it ...

Do you Mean Charles Manson?

edit

Ignore me I had Charles Bronson the Actor i my head! :explode:
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Charles Bronson,

yes the criminal,

built some serious muscle and fitness just doing body weight exercises.

check out his stuff on solitary confinement fitness,

he still holds the record for full press ups in 2 minutes, at a little over 170 , he was 53 when he completed it ...

Do you Mean Charles Manson?

edit

Ignore me

hahahahahaha Charles manson imagine
  • TheNavet
    TheNavet Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to bulk and build consistent muscle mass without lifting but while doing bodyweight exercices and eventually using a pull up bar?

I... I lost a bit of muscle (a fair bit) as my weight loss took a too sharp corner and now I'm searching to put it back on as well as a bit of fat to get my hormones back going :embarassed: ... And I don't have access to a gym unfortunately (:grumble: ) and the pull up bar only is a future installation...

Also, has any one (well women in the first place but really, male stories are more than welcome too :flowerforyou: ) had success developing muscle with bodyweight exercices? And did you ever engage in a bulk while doing so?

If you need any additional info or stats just tell me! Thanks :smile: !

absolutely! Your body doesn't know if you have a dumbbell in your hand. If the muscle is working against resistance your doing it right. When I work with people I have have moms or busy women to home routines. I basically give them variations of circuit training. Some have built SUBSTANTIAL muscle with a good diet. "Substantial" meaning in a good, feminine way...not like freaky female bodybuilder way :)

Here is an example:

15 walking lunges each leg
    30 crunches/situps
    15 pushups
    20 squats
    15 reps row with dumbbells or bands
    15 reps shoulder press with db or bands

So obviously I adjust the numbers based on the shape of the person if they have never done any resistance work I would not do the above...they would not be able to walk for a month.

For the above I'd have them go through it once no rest....take 2 to 5 minutes then do it again. The good thing is stuff like this and variations of it allow you to easily add resistance and are quick. If the squats are too easy add a backpack with stuff in it, hold something over your head, get bands, do more reps. You can do "girl" push-ups (no offense :)) and then regular and then weight on your back.

You can also go through the routine more than twice eventually people can get through it with weight on all exercises like 3-4 times.

Don't worry, I'm not offended :laugh:
    Again, thanks to all for mentioning resistance and for giving the advice that goes with it!
    I'm probably going to experiment with several exercice variations, inspired of/by this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KutF8wPlk4Q

Ah, and by the way, I guess my fitness and strength level is comparable to level 2 of Ripped in 30 by Jillian! Stronger than many people I know but yeah, not strong enough for my own liking :P.

Chadomaniac . Eh, I'm too light for my height (48kg/105.8lbs for 167cm/5''5 :embarassed: ) but I guess I'll be able to find SOMETHING to increase my weight :P