How much water is spot on?

Hello gang,
I'm a bit confused by reports I read about water intake.

If it helps, as a bit of background, I do lots of high intensity cardio exercise (football / soccer) so I'm careful to take on plenty before, during and after a football match or whatever...but is it good to be drinking 8-10 glasses a day (on a football day and a rest day)? Will that give me a false indication of my weight etc?

Thanks in advance!!

Neil

Replies

• Emijanine
    Emijanine Posts: 158 Member
    They say half your body weight in ounces. So if you are 120#, 60 ozs of water at a minimum!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited June 2016
  • Fluffy2Fit2Shredded
    Fluffy2Fit2Shredded Posts: 40 Member
    I just constantly do a gallon to gallon and a half a day. Keeps the hunger away at times and gets me up constantly to keep moving than at a desk cuz u have to constantly pee
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    edited June 2016
    The urine colour thing is the only way to know, really, and how thirsty you feel. It depends on climate, exercise, what kind of building you work in, what you wear - there is no "spot on" amount that works for everyone.

It's like asking "what's the correct amount of fuel to put in a car?" - the only possible answer is "it depends".
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,745 Member
    OP, just noticed your question at the end - no, absolutely not, how much you drink will never give a false indication of weight. Your body maintains its water levels very carefully, and if you are over hydrated then you will pee the extra water out right away. As long as you never weigh yourself when you're desperate for a pee, the amount you drink will not influence the scale reading. Don't try and manipulate your scale reading by restricting what you drink! That's not healthy. Give the body the water it asks for, or more, and it will decide how much to keep and how much to toss.

You may be confused by the idea of water retention, but that's influenced by what you eat and by exercise, injury or illness, not by how much you drink. Also, unless you're swollen up like a balloon, water retention is not a bad thing, it's just part of how your body works.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    For me, my water is spot on when I'm not thirsty. Not being thirsty is the only indication I need that I'm sufficiently hydrated.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Enough to keep you hydrated.

Most people can do this without giving a second thought or worrying about arbitrary numbers.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,131 Member
    The only false indication it will give is if you drink a litre then weigh immediately after.