Having a great metabolism is like winning a lottery

Options
13»

Replies

• scoii
    scoii Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I was always told that I was lucky that had a high metabolism. A typical day was 6 weetabix with full fat milk and shed loads of sugar, jacket potato beans and cheese, boost bar, 5 coffees with sugar, fullfull frozen pizza, 10 ginger nuts.

In reality I was in the gym for an hour every lunch, sport for 2 hours an evening. Probably burning close to 1000 calories a day and the lean mass upped my metabolism by maybe a 100 calories.

The slim sister may be more active every day in the week and when they have a bad weekend, holiday, Christmas etc. They may have smaller plates of food, leave things on their plate, don't snack etc.

There is a very small chance of both being at either end of the metabolism scale but that's probably 1 in a million chance.

I think you said something about putting on 4 pounds over Christmas, depending on the length of Christmas festivities, you are eating around double your calories.

Focus on the whole picture. Record everything and be completely honest.

The difference between an after dinner walk and an after dinner slice of cake is about 2lb/week.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,554 Member
    Options
    Tdee doesn't factor in thyroid problems
    Or hormonal issues. My tdee is 3700 but if I eat over 1500 calories I won't lose weight. I'm 6 ft 5 350 pounds

Then that's not your TDEE (the 3700). What's calculated from a formulas is an estimate. TDEE means total daily energy expenditure - it is individual and changes daily and depends on your activity - both exercise and non-exercise.

If you are saying that you have a TDEE of 1500 - the point were you doing gain or lose - I'd suggest that one important factor to change that is that you become more active. Convert your everyday lifestyle to one that requires that you move more. Your TDEE will change.

Which is also probably a big factor in the OPs sister's life - you say she's sedentary but even with a 9-5 desk job - some people never sit still, are always tapping or twitching and moving about.
    Or hormonal issues. My tdee is 3700 but if I eat over 1500 calories I won't lose weight. I'm 6 ft 5 350 pounds

Then that's not your TDEE (the 3700). What's calculated from a formulas is an estimate. TDEE means total daily energy expenditure - it is individual and changes daily and depends on your activity - both exercise and non-exercise.

If you are saying that you have a TDEE of 1500 - the point were you doing gain or lose - I'd suggest that one important factor to change that is that you become more active. Convert your everyday lifestyle to one that requires that you move more. Your TDEE will change.

Which is also probably a big factor in the OPs sister's life - you say she's sedentary but even with a 9-5 desk job - some people never sit still, are always tapping or twitching and moving about.

I do cardio twice a day every day of the week and do gym workouts five days a week. Someone my size with normal testosterone and thyroid levels would have a bmr of 2600 easily but mine is much lower

I do cardio twice a day every day of the week and do gym workouts five days a week. Someone my size with normal testosterone and thyroid levels would have a bmr of 2600 easily but mine is much lower

But you do measure all your food on a scale and chose correct data base entries and not just what the barcode scanner gives you?
  • dykask
    dykask Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    scoii wrote: »
    The difference between an after dinner walk and an after dinner slice of cake is about 2lb/week.

Not even close ... a slice of cake is like 300 kc and a very long walk is about 200 kc. That would be 3500 kc for a week. It probably takes more than 3500 kc to put on a pound of fat since it takes some energy to convert food into fat.

We get fat from eating a lot more calories than we consume. At least that is true in my case.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

You've barely measured your intake over the past weeks.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

No he hasn't! @pearceflint92 try logging your food everyday honestly and accurately for a full 8 weeks, and I mean log everything that goes into your mouth using a food scale, only use cups for fluids. You may get a pleasant surprise and realise you are not a medical anomaly after all.
  • pearceflint92
    pearceflint92 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

No he hasn't! @pearceflint92 try logging your food everyday honestly and accurately for a full 8 weeks, and I mean log everything that goes into your mouth using a food scale, only use cups for fluids. You may get a pleasant surprise and realise you are not a medical anomaly after all.

Hey I have got my medical issues treated now I was just trying to explain to the op what my issues were when it come to the tdee calculators and how much. I actually could eat. I stopped logging when I found out my testosterone was 2 (normal level 11-40) and my thyroid was under active aswell as high prolactin issues. Since these issues have been fixed I'm finding I can slowly eat more and more and still lose weight. My dietitian said trt would raise my rmr. I started logging again yesterday.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @pearceflint92

Most people here know about thyroid issues. There's probably an increased percentage of people on MFP with thyroid issues compared to the general population, because when it is harder to lose weight it is nice to find something that works. And this will work, you just have to kick a higher percentage of *kitten*. Think of it as an incentive.

If you really, truly only lose weight at 1500 calories two most likely scenarios are:

A. your meds are off. Do as was suggested, and get thee to a doctor. Some people with thyroid issues have to get checked every few months, some as little as once a year.
    B. You are counting calories for food wrong, or grossly overestimating calories burned when exercising.

Yes, there is a third scenario where everything is bleak, and out of your control. The problem is (and I'm not saying you're doing this), many people conclude that they should just sit on their *kitten* and eat Doritos because there's no point. As a one day thing, that's understandable. As a way of handling a problem, it's phenomenally stupid.

Do better.

There's a whole forum system on MFP because "just count the calories" isn't as intuitive as it sounds. First you have to learn to weigh *kitten*, then you have to learn to count everything, even if only for a little while. Here's an oldie but goodie on calorie counting. Here's the most helpful threads post.

Go kick some *kitten*.

Edited to add: just saw that you posted while I was typing this. Good on you for starting again!
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Hey I have got my medical issues treated now I was just trying to explain to the op what my issues were when it come to the tdee calculators and how much. I actually could eat. I stopped logging when I found out my testosterone was 2 (normal level 11-40) and my thyroid was under active aswell as high prolactin issues. Since these issues have been fixed I'm finding I can slowly eat more and more and still lose weight. My dietitian said trt would raise my rmr. I started logging again yesterday.

That's great to hear. Wishing you the best of luck :smile: