Ate so many calories today I don't even remember when I ate so much

Alright so today was my sisters birthday and the fam went out to eat and we went to this nice restaurant and the food was overpriced but it still tasted good I got a sandwich and some French fries and drank ice water

So after that "I did not want to " but we got ice cream and I got basically the biggest sundae on the menu probably was about 1,000 calories

I also around midnight last night had a king size bag of m&ms

Oh yeah and just now I had 5 slices of pepperoni pizza and 2 cans of Arizona iced tea

I want to say I ate around 5,000 calories but that might even be too generous

I never eat this much I usually eat 1,500-2,500

But if there's 3500 calories in a pound I know I gained 1.5-2 pounds just from the sheer volume of what I ate

I weighed 205 pounds this morning and I felt great but then I went out and *kitten* it all up today I probably gained 10 pounds of water weight I hate this I don't even remember the last time I pigged out like this I feel like I ate as much as Joey chestnut at the Nathan's July 4th hot dog contest

I don't know why I'm posting this I feel like a fat pig

I think I need to join overeaters anonymous

I don't know

I haven't eaten like this in the longest time I'm just wishing I could have not eaten the ice cream and drinking water instead of iced tea

Oh well

Replies

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Tomorrow is a new day.

Log it all as best you can and move on.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Losing weight worked for me when I realized that having more good days than bad, more good meals than bad (when i say bad, I mean outside my calorie goals) then i would lose weight.

Giving up because I over-ate means I will never lose any weight. Staying with it as much as possible means iwill lose weight, however long that takes.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member
    Even if you do gain 10 pounds of water weight, it doesn't stick around. Do your best to log what you can and look into why you did this today. Sometimes when people restrict too much from their diet it causes them to binge.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    Next time, log it, yes all of it so you know how much you ate and have a better grasp on how it affects your weight.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,900 Member
    Our bodies don't cut off our calorie intake daily.

How it works is
    When you reach 3500 extra calories on top of what your body uses then you gain 1lb

So if you eat less and work out more you can make it up through out the week

I used to eat less by a 200 cals a few days a week to plan for my hollidays

Then recover from the water retention by taking extra potassium, drinking more water and sweating it out through cardio and sauna
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Is it possible to gain 10 pounds of water weight in 1 day?

Yes. I ate out last night, a lot of salty and fried foods. I still had a calorie deficit and was up 8lbs this morning.

It's not going to stay, just like your water weight won't. Log what you eat and move on (and drink some extra water).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    Is it possible to gain 10 pounds of water weight in 1 day?

I'm sure it is. I've gained 5+ pounds overnight, and I only weigh 120 to start with.

And a few (very few) times while losing weight, I ate 5,000 calories in one day, and it didn't stop me dropping from a low-obese weight to a low-normal weight in substantially less than a year. I've repeated that kind of calorie load a few times since starting maintenance 2 months ago, too, but - after a few subsequent days of wild fluctuation - have returned to my maintenance weight range.

So, there's no need for melodrama over this. Just log it, maybe give the "why it happened" part some brief thought so you can learn from it, then move on. You'll be fine, as long as it's a rare thing.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    There will be days like this that cannot be avoided, and why would you want to, anyway? Holidays and celebrations are a part of life. What matters is how many calories you eat a majority of the time. You cannot lose weight in a day or 2 so what makes you think you can legit gain in that same time frame? Just log it and start new the next meal or day.

Yes, you can gain 10 lbs in water weight after a meal, I've done it. If I go back to eating my calorie limits for the next week it disappears.
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    That's a lot of M&Ms, especially if they were regular and not peanut. I might have gone for beers with the pizza tbh. They complement each other so well.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    That's a lot of M&Ms, especially if they were regular and not peanut.

wut
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    I know how you feel - definitely 'been there, done that.' Just try to let it go. Tomorrow is another day. Keep logging, keep posting. You will overcome.
  • SassyMommasaurus
    SassyMommasaurus Posts: 380 Member
    1 Day isn't going to completely derail anything, just keep going on as normal. If you do gain 10 lbs of water weight, it will come off in a few days.
  • lizzylovestocook
    lizzylovestocook Posts: 30 Member
    Don't beat yourself up it happens to all of us at one time or another . It was a family celebration and you enjoyed yourself so just let it go and do better tomorrow . Try to make healthy choices this week and get in some exercise , drink plenty of water to flush out the extra salt .
  • juliaky84
    juliaky84 Posts: 72 Member
    Be compassionate towards yourself when you don't follow your plan the way you want. Beating yourself up will not help. If another person treated you that way, it would not help either - be your own best friend in this regard. Find your inner strength and true reason for wanting to make this change...and run with it. That will help you re-focus. I know it does not feel good after a "binge". Be kind to yourself...go for a leisurely walk, drink water or a nice cup of tea...knowing you can re-start your plan the very next day or very next meal. It is a NEW day and no one stands in your way to achieve your goals except your own mind. It is a mental battle...do not let the negative thoughts take over. Find your strength and re-commit to yourself...not to anyone else...just you. I know it does not feel good after severely over-eating...use helpful tools such as MFP, but also try to listen to your body when you are nearing the fullness point...eating slowly and mindfully can help with this.
  • RosieRose7673
    RosieRose7673 Posts: 438 Member
    A 6.4 pound gain

Just like your username, its water weight!
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    I'd be really surprised if the actual *fat* gain was even a pound. See how it settles out in the next couple of days :)
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,900 Member
    She right about water weight

It's our body's respince to a drastic change
    Just take extra potasium and drink lots of water and sweat it out.

Also lower your daily cake by 100 or 200 for the next two weeks

You will be fine hun