Workouts and depression

jenniferandreas693
jenniferandreas693 Posts: 8 Member
So I've read a lot about how exercise is supposed to help people feel less depressed and increase moods... It hasn't worked for me though and sometimes I even feel a bit moodier after working out.. I don't know why, any tips on what could maybe help!?

Replies

• jenniferandreas693
    jenniferandreas693 Posts: 8 Member
    Idk it started when I moved away for school, I thought it was just the weather (going from California to Oregon) but it's stuck with me even when I'm home :/ I love working out! And it makes me feel productive and good, just not long term at all and idk...I try to stay haha it just doesn't seem like exercise really helps me :(
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    edited June 2016
    So I've read a lot about how exercise is supposed to help people feel less depressed and increase moods... It hasn't worked for me though and sometimes I even feel a bit moodier after working out.. I don't know why, any tips on what could maybe help!?

I'm not quite sure how you're expecting anyone here to be able to help you battle depression? Something either helps or it doesn't, for me it does much of the time, but sometimes it doesn't. See your doctor, change medication, plan something in your life that you look forward to, change your workout to one that excites you...this is all a you thing, not a random people on the internet giving you a step by step guide how to overcome it thing. One of the greatest and worst things you'll ever discover is depression is not a thing you can specifically target and switch on and off with certain things. It's just random.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    I know there have been numerous times that I did not feel like working out - did so anyway - and felt much better afterwards. Not sure if that works for depression though.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    Not to lecture anyone but for exercise to have an effect on depression it needs to be consistent and maintained. It isn't going to be an instant boost every time. I say this as someone with bouts of severe depression so please don't take this the wrong way. When I'm in the grips of an episode nothing works, or at least I tell myself that, but it takes weeks or months for whatever I'm doing to start helping. Again, not to be patronising as you probably know what works for you and doesn't, but depression has a way of convincing us of things that aren't necessarily true.

I get your point. I exercise daily, have for 4 years, my depression is still there lurking (was properly diagnosed 23 yrs ago) . Mine's a chemical imbalance in my brain and exercise doesn't do squat for tamping it down. Chocolate, or food in general, works. Of course, eating to counter depression isn't conductive to weight loss/being a "healthy" weight.

All you can do is try consistent exercise for several weeks to see if it will work. If it does, fantastic!
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I have major depression. For exercise to lift my mood, it has to be outdoors in the sunshine and fresh air. Indoor workouts don't seem to have the same effect. Hula hooping on my deck is good for helping with this.

Try skipping on your deck too!! Skipping is so much fun and such a GREAT workout! Or even a little trampoline!
  • Erfw7471
    Erfw7471 Posts: 242 Member
    edited June 2016
    JaneSnowe wrote: »
    I have major depression. For exercise to lift my mood, it has to be outdoors in the sunshine and fresh air. Indoor workouts don't seem to have the same effect. Hula hooping on my deck is good for helping with this.

I bet it lifts the neighbour's mood too. :)

It would mine! Now I want to get a hula hoop, that sounds fun!

Just yesterday I was thinking, "we (as in my family) don't *play* enough anymore, like we did when the kids were kids." We get our workouts/runs/soccer practices in, but we don't just get out there and have FUN. Hmmm, I may rethink some things around here....

Try skipping on your deck too!! Skipping is so much fun and such a GREAT workout! Or even a little trampoline!

I like this idea too!

• paulgads82
    paulgads82 Posts: 256 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    paulgads82 wrote: »
    Not to lecture anyone but for exercise to have an effect on depression it needs to be consistent and maintained. It isn't going to be an instant boost every time. I say this as someone with bouts of severe depression so please don't take this the wrong way. When I'm in the grips of an episode nothing works, or at least I tell myself that, but it takes weeks or months for whatever I'm doing to start helping. Again, not to be patronising as you probably know what works for you and doesn't, but depression has a way of convincing us of things that aren't necessarily true.

I get your point. I exercise daily, have for 4 years, my depression is still there lurking (was properly diagnosed 23 yrs ago) . Mine's a chemical imbalance in my brain and exercise doesn't do squat for tamping it down. Chocolate, or food in general, works. Of course, eating to counter depression isn't conductive to weight loss/being a "healthy" weight.

All you can do is try consistent exercise for several weeks to see if it will work. If it does, fantastic!

Yeah I think we can safely say you've given exercise a good go!
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Exercise works well for me, but it works best when it's consistent and when it's something I enjoy. If I am looking forward to my workout, I can hop out of bed and bang it out, and then I feel better the rest of the day...but I try not to rely 100% on exercise, because otherwise I get grumpy when life happens and I have to skip a workout, and I know that's not a healthy attitude.
  • mcdonagk
    mcdonagk Posts: 136 Member
    Have you tried weight lifting/exercise classes? I was getting little in the way of a mood pick me up from just going to the gym. I started going to group classes with a trainer instead which for me was a game changer. I have a good laugh and great workout and I very seldom leave the place in bad humor.